• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank account never closes - in overdraft that never existed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank account never closes - in overdraft that never existed?

Hello. I am new here. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

In 2009 I opened and account with Barclays. I was young it was my first account after leaving home from domestic abuse and working alongside college.

The account had no agreed over draft. It cost so much per month (I can't remember what) and that cost included certain services although I never used them.

I had a number of issues with the bank and decided that when I moved house in November 2017 I would ose the account and only use my new Halifax account.

I moved in the November, got Christmas out the way and then went into branch to close the account in early 2018 (I can't remember the exact date)

At this point I was solely using my Halifax account and only had a Dogs Trust DD with the Barclays account with funds to cover this - I didn't just leave an account with £0.00 from moving house to closing it.

I never gave a forwarding address because the account was to be closed.
    I went in branch as I was told as I didn't do telephone banking I couldn't do it over the phone. They offered me a load of statements printed, I said no thanks I just want it closing. Cancel all DDs and any left over funds to charity. (It would have been in my mind only about £25).

That was that...or so I thought.

Signed up to Experian to check my credit as I am learning to drive finally and was thinking of getting a safe family car on finance.

I log in to find defaults from that account up until the end of 2018 - I call Barclays. They say they had to close my account at the end of 2018 and they wrote to me. The defaults are apparently the account charges and went into my over draft. I explain there was no overhead and request they send me a copy of any agreement of such overdraft.

I explain I already closed it. This goes back and forth for a few weeks.

Now they have wrote to me agreeing they were at fault and that it should have never happened.
    They assure me they will be in touch with the credit people and have it removed as if it never happened.

They've also offered me £75 for my troubles.

This whole situation is so werid. I don't understand how any account with no overdraft went into an overdraft for their own fees. Never mind the fact it should have been closed.

This will have obviously been effecting my credit since then without my knowledge.
    Tags: None

Hi Banks

A lot of these organisations make more money when they get things wrong.

You could send the bank a SAR, they have 30 days to provide you with all the data on the account over the last 6 years.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

You could lodge a complaint with the ICO, as they had incorrect information on your account, it was of their own making. It effected your credit score, which would of had a knock on effect in your ability to get credit.

https://ico.org.uk/

You could lodge a complaint with the FOS, if you reject Barclay's offer. They may feel that the £75 is derisory considering it's effected your credit score and ability to get credit. (provided you've applied for credit).

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X