• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What stops a bank from taking clients' money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What stops a bank from taking clients' money

Hi All, looking for an answer to what seems a trivial question.

What stops a bank from deliberately withdrawing funds from a client's current account and using them as they wish?

I was reading CASS (Client Assets Sourcebook) issues by FCA for about an hour, but couldn't find a direct answer. CASS 5 which deals with Client Money apparently does not apply to banks.

What would stop a bank from saying to a customer "We've taken these 100K from your account accourding to our T&Cs because we needed this money"?

Thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

If you're with a bank whose T&Cs state they can take money from your account because they need it, my advice is you take your money out and deposit it elsewhere.

Banks do have the right of set-off, but only under certain conditions

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      If you're with a bank whose T&Cs state they can take money from your account because they need it, my advice is you take your money out and deposit it elsewhere.

Banks do have the right of set-off, but only under certain conditions
      Many banks state in their T&Cs that they can "remove" funds based, for example, on a suspicion of fraud. There's no requirement for actual fraud to occur, and banks would always take a stance they can't say a word of explanation in order not to tip-off per AML laws. This essentially amounts to banks' T&C allowing them to take whatever money they want at any time without any explanation. Unless, of course, there's something in the regulation that may stop them. This is what I'm trying to ascertain.

But I don't want to divert the thread to discussing fraud. I just want to find the regulations that actually require banks not to mess with clients' funds.

Comment

There has been a clamp down on financial crime and under the EU Anti-Money Laundering Directives , banks are obliged to vet accounts for possible money-laundering.
        Government regulations oblige banks to monitor customers accounts for potential money laundering or financial crime, and any uncharacteristic transactions can trigger fraud filters. Under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 banks are not allowed to tip off a customer that an investigation may be underway.

You are looking for the regulations.

There will not be a regulation saying banks cannot remove money from a customers account without a reason.
        There are regulations allowing banks to remove money when there is reason.
        However they won't be written in such plain language!
        You might find this document a lead in to the regulations you want to see:*https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/FCG.pdf
        and also Money Laundering Regulations 2007

Comment

There will not be a regulation saying banks cannot remove money from a customers account without a reason.
          In that case what protection does a customer have if a bank withdraws funds from their account without a reason? If there's no regulation to that effect as you say, can't banks just get away with that?

Comment

Civil action

Comment

Civil action
              That's what I'm asking. How do you make a case that a bank did not have right to withdraw money from your account? What laws or regulations don't let banks do that?

Comment

Try: Banking Conduct of Business source book.
                Schedule 5 is the bit you need

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X