• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

30.00 charge for being 36p overdrawn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30.00 charge for being 36p overdrawn

Please help - my son, who has only had the Barclays account for 4 months, has been charged 30.00 for being 36p overdrawn - he was also charged 35.00 for an unpaid standing order last month as was short by a pound to pay it - can he claim this back ? not sure as with all the charges being claimed back recently, whether they have new laws whereas they can charge it . (he does not have an overdraft facility on his account) Thank you

Loz, welcome to legal beagles. Can i ask a few questions, how old is your son?
    He can claim all the charges back because they are unlawful.

NWSM(you now know who I am)

Comment

Loz

Most banks have changed their T&C's to claim that penalty charges are really a charge for a service.

In your sons case for example, they have returned a standing order, not paid it out, the question you have to ask yourself is, how can not paying something be a service?

The links to the relevant sections on the forum are in my signature below, explaining why you can claim back these charges, the banks obviously have no confidence in their 'service' charge defence as they continue to pay out daily.

I would like to think, for an amount as small as this, they would just return the charges without question, as you don't need to send an SAR, just start with the prelim letter from the library and keep us informed.

Any questions - just shout.

Comment

Originally posted by Loz View Post
        Please help - my son, who has only had the Barclays account for 4 months, has been charged 30.00 for being 36p overdrawn - he was also charged 35.00 for an unpaid standing order last month as was short by a pound to pay it - can he claim this back ?
        Yes, he can - all of it, but you'll have to fight for it.

It does not matter how much the account was short, but now as a consequence, other things will not get paid out and he will be charged further.

Get your letter off as soon as you can.
        Last edited by Cetelco; 15th July 2007, 22:51:PM. Reason: "...he will BE charged further" not just "he will charged further" - honestly...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X