• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Co-operative bank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-operative bank

Hi I have received a section 87 1 regarding my bank overdraft which was a student account which they then converted to a current, account which they should have not done as I was studying a course, a degree with the open university, as I am now in financial difficulty and I have contacted stepchange what can I do as they will be passing this onto a debt collection agency I will be only offering the £1 a month payments as I am in financial difficulty.
    Tags: None

They may have converted your account as the student account is no longer available

https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/student-accounts

Comment

No the student account is still available but apparently I only put the course as for 1 yr and I got another year leway.

Comment

Oh right it looks like it like it has.

Comment

But it does not make any sense why they have converted it to another account as this is now contradiction of a contract and null and void.

Comment

I would suggest you look at the original terms and conditions. There maybe a clause allowing the change. After all a student account is just a normal account with added perks.

Comment

They are now putting charges on the account and as I am in financial difficulty they have frozen the charges and interest but are now going to pass the debt onto a debt collection agency.

Comment

Which is unfair as the contract to begin with has now changed.

Comment

Why is it unfair. They have frozen charges etc. Contracts can be changed. Could they have ever written to you and told you.

Comment

I'm not sure if I signed an agreement with them so they have changed my account from one to one with interest and charges.

Comment

When was the account opened? You could always write to them and ask for a copy of your contract

Comment

Looking at the T&Cs of Coop student accounts,it clearly states your student account automatically converts to standard account one year after the date you told them in your original application form that your course would end.
                        You told them a one year course (post 3). Did you confirm prior to taking up the extra year, that you would be continuing as a student?
                        If you did not seek their prior agreement to vary the contract, I doubt you have legally any reason to complain.as how would they know your student days had been extended?

Student account T&Cs (https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/a...conditions.pdf)
                        16.2 If you have a student account, it will automatically convert to a standard current account one year after the date you told us in your application form that your course would end. We may also convert your account if you don’t pay your student loan or other funding into your account.
                        16.3 If we convert your account, we’ll tell you at least two months before the change takes effect

Comment

I told them I was still studying I have also been doing courses with the Open University and I have told them this on many occasions.

Comment

Yes but they are quite clear the account no longer exists. Also there may be an intensity and level of study clause.

Comment

You may have told them,but was this prior to the end of your first year of study?
                              Besides actually telling them you also needed to obtain their agreement to vary the contract prior to the end of your first year of study.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X