• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

SD Received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Received

Hi Received a SD from a solicitors for a service that they failed to provide last year (I had to find an alternative firm instead)

They got a CCJ in October (which I didn't get) and I've now been served with a SD for £1100

I am loosing the battle here with them as they will not budge.

Whats my best route - to reduce the debt to £750? They already returned a cheque to me which I tried to offer full and final settlement for?

I do have their bank details so would use this method

thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: SD Received

ANyone?

Comment

Re: SD Received

Originally posted by mrcraig View Post
      Hi Received a SD from a solicitors for a service that they failed to provide last year (I had to find an alternative firm instead)

They got a CCJ in October (which I didn't get) and I've now been served with a SD for £1100

I am loosing the battle here with them as they will not budge.
      I'm sorry no-one replied to your post somehow it seems to have been missed. As you posted nearly two weeks ago, have you done something about it? You have 18 days to apply to have the SD set aside, otherwise they can serve you with a bankruptcy petition. :scared:

To challenge the SD, you need to fill in form 6.4 – application to set aside a statutory demand and do a witness statement on form 6.5 – statement of truth. The SD should have details of where you should apply for set aside. You'll need to include a copy of the SD with your application and state when the SD was served as well as explaining your reasons for applying for set aside. You'll need to explain what happened with the solicitor and the fact that you never had the court papers to enable you to defend the claim leading to the CCJ. The court will then schedule a hearing date.

Have you moved since you had dealings with the law firm who issued the SD? It seems rather strange that you should have received the SD but not the claim form that resulted in a CCJ.

Originally posted by mrcraig View Post
      Whats my best route - to reduce the debt to £750? They already returned a cheque to me which I tried to offer full and final settlement for?

I do have their bank details so would use this method
      Reducing the debt is fine if you owe the money, however, if you don't, you should really go down the set aside route.

As an aside, have you complained to the Legal Ombudsman about the firm in question? If not, you may want to look into it. This is, of course, in addition to dealing with the SD which you need to do as soon as possible.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X