• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Both Bankrupt/ is this technically correct

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both Bankrupt/ is this technically correct

My wife and I were both made bankrupt by the debt collector the amount is £18000 however is this technically correct as I have been made bankrupt for £18000 and my wife has been made bankrupt for the same £18000 surely both cant be correct should it not be £9000 each. My reason for asking is if the claim was only for me then I could go down the preferred route of an IVA as I have accumulated other debts since being ill and out of work On the other hand my wife has no other debts apart from this £18000 therefore cannot go down the route of an IVA. Any immediate help would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Both Bankrupt/ is this technically correct

A few question as there appear to be some anomalies.

1. Is there a valid Bankruptcy Order in force?
    2. Have the bankruptcies been published in the London Gazette?
    3. Are the name of you and your OH showing on the Individual Insolvency Register (IIR) on the Insolvency Service website?
    4. Is the Trustee in Bankruptcy authorised to act as a Trustee in Bankruptcy?

The courts are reluctant to grant a Bankruptcy Order for sums less than £20,000 and will often adjourn a Petition Hearing to allow something like an IVA to be set up or similar?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hello and thank you the answer to all the questions is yes however I am trying to go for an IVA however my wife cannot as it is her only debt and has been petitioned for bankruptcy which has been granted so can I assume that they will still go after her and wait a year then force the sale of our family home?

Comment

Something sounds very wrong here.

Some more questions -

1. Who ran up the debt?
        2. What is the actual amount of the debt in total?
        3. Who is the debt collector?

Comment

Assuming that the £18,000 was a joint debt so was subject to joint & several liability, then yes that sounds 'technically' correct. (fair or not) The full amount is a provable debt in both bankruptcies.

Is assume it is an FTIVA that has been proposed. https://www.gov.uk/options-for-payin...y-arrangements

Comment

Thank you for your replies everyone! Yes we are trying for an IVA for myself however we are not sure at this stage if they will pursue my wife ultimately our home? Any suggestions on how we could resolve this would be much appreciated.
            Both my wife and I have been recently made bankrupt, we have spoken to
            a insolvency practitioner to see if there is a way forward without our
            losing our family home. As my wife has no other debts we have been
            advised that she cannot go down the route of an IVA.
            As I have accumulated several other debts we understand that it may be
            possible for me.
            Our dilemma is that the amount required for Annulment on an original
            debt of £18,300 is now £29,900.
            To acquire this large sum in one lump is not possible! we do have
            equity in our house and are both able to earn money.
            What is the best course of action? is it to late for any arrangements
            to be made with a charge over our house.
            We would welcome a prompt reply as this is a most stressful time for us both.
            Due to having an earlier brain haemorrhage and losing my job is the
            only reason why we are in this situation not wreckless behaviour
            Last edited by top1; 28th March 2014, 17:19:PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Which debt collector is involved in this, please?

Comment

Hello it is a company called Redwood collections Croydon then they instructed the solicitors.

Comment

The courts are reluctant to grant a Bankruptcy Order for sums less than £20,000 and will often adjourn a Petition Hearing to allow something like an IVA to be set up or similar?[/QUOTE]

i got made bankrupt for an £1800 screwfix alleged debt

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X