• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Father Bankrupted by Lowell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father Bankrupted by Lowell

Hi,

I recently found out that my father was bankrupted by Lowell back in March on a debt of £1365.14 they obtained from Capital One (default date 13/7/2007). My parents have significant assets in the form of their house, but little liquidity as they are both on a pension income. I have been looking at a plan to get the bankruptcy annulled, but it isn't looking good right now. Lowell have undoubtedly acted very nastily here, but I'm doubtful of gathering sufficient evidence to get the bankruptcy annulled on the grounds of it not being legitimate. Plan B was to attempt to buy my parents back out by moving to annul on the grounds of 'paid in full', however the original debt has now inflated to £4854.00, which BW Legal / Lowell assure me I would have to pay to the penny (no 'final settlement' option under an annulment, or right to challenge their costs or the costs of the trustee - can anyone confirm this is true?). In addition, as there were significant assets to dispose of my Father's bankruptcy is in the hands of a trustee rather than the OR who despite being informed that we were planning on moving for an annulment refuses to declare his fees until he has had my Father's assets valued in full, and says nothing can currently be done 'in case other creditors come forward' (Lowell / BW Legal are the only creditor, to my knowledge - an overdraft in both my parents names I am putting up funds to cover, and my father's outstanding court fines are excluded from the bankruptcy). I fear he is setting himself up for an astronomical bill that would scupper any attempts to escape the asset-stripping. The court ignored my parent's requests to stay proceedings, so there seems no way of controlling the trustee's fees from spiralling out of control and potentially far outweighing the original debt. Ironically, BW Legal / Lowell themselves suggested that this looked bad and suggested my parents contact the OR immediately to advise them of this!

Although I have a reasonable but modest income I am a single parent, and have debts myself from recently getting on to the property ladder. I could raise some thousands to bail them out, but not tens of thousands. Does anyone have any advice or are we just done for here, all over a £1300 nearly statute barred debt?
    Tags: None

Re: Father Bankrupted by Lowell

Originally posted by Stormcrow23 View Post
    Lowell have undoubtedly acted very nastily here,
    So what else is new?

Comment

I thought a BK order could be annulled if the debts and fees have been secured to the court's satisfaction, which appears to be the case here.

Have a read of this document, hopefully it may help:
      Attached Files

Comment

I have a breakdown of the fees and charges Lowell are applying now:

BW Legal Costs Inc. VAT £2400.00
        Court Issue Fee £220.00
        HM Land Registry Fee £2.00
        Service of the Bankruptcy Petition £60.00
        Process Server Fee-Substituted Service £60.00
        Court Fee Application for Substituted Service £35.00
        Advocate Fees £72.00
        Official Receiver's Deposit £700.00
        Petition Debt Amount £1365.14

I have asked them for a further breakdown of the £2400 'legal costs inc VAT'

Comment

Thanks I have read it. Some useful stuff but doesn't answer every question, such as what constitutes 'paid to the court's satisfaction'. Again, being told that we have to pay any inflation that Lowell and the trustee choose to place upon this without question, which threatens to make an already costly plan unachievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormcrow23 View Post
            Thanks I have read it. Some useful stuff but doesn't answer every question, such as what constitutes 'paid to the court's satisfaction'. Again, being told that we have to pay any inflation that Lowell and the trustee choose to place upon this without question, which threatens to make an already costly plan unachievable.
            I think the phrase used is 'Secured to the court's satisfaction' which is entirely different to 'Paid to ..........'

It may well be worth investing £10 in sending a carefully worded SAR to Lowells to see exactly what hand they hold. They are known to be increasingly savage in their pursuit of acquired debts. Equally, their grounds are often shaky. SD's and BK are true to form for them - it's a shame we didn't catch this at SD stage, where something could very likely have been done about it by the site owner.

Can you explain to an ignoramus why it has gone to a Trustee not an Official Receiver please? I think you're wise to be challenging all fees. :beagle:

Comment

Does this help at all ?

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...iquidators.pdf (point 9)

What is happening sounds dodgy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                Does this help at all ?

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...iquidators.pdf (point 9)

What is happening sounds dodgy to me.
                Yes, it helps massively thank you. I'm officially no longer an ignoramus (well, not on this issue anyway!) :beagle:

Comment

I'd really like to investigate this case further if possible.:beagle:
                  Stormcrow, could you private message me with your contact details please?
                  "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

That sounds a bit more like it!:beagle:

Comment

Cel......go get 'em tiger (but to try to look a tad more scarey than that smiley,msl

Comment

Just in case the OP is not aware of it, Celestine :yo: has an amazing track record of beating the Lowell Leeds Losers to a pulp, time and time again!

She has crushed them so many times, they all run for cover as soon as her name is mentioned in Lowlife HQ.:bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                        Cel......go get 'em tiger (but to try to look a tad more scarey than that smiley,)
                        This should do the trick:

Comment

Thank you, thank you! Will PM as soon as I work out how to

Being a third party my info is in places limited here, but yes, it seems dodgy as all hell. The question is whether they have stuck to the letter of the insolvency legislation, if not its' spirit, to have a chance of fighting them off at this late stage. Their charges seem really inflated - my mother is requesting details from the original Official Receiver on the bill when it got to their stage, and they quoted a different figure - unless these 'BW Legal costs inc. VAT' are appearing in a different column on the OR's paperwork I would have assumed that once they successfully pressed for bankruptcy they would not incur further legal costs while the bankruptcy process took effect?

Talking of bill inflation, once the trustee was informed that we had spoken to the OR he mysteriously was then able to name his fees, which 'currently stand' at over £6000 (mum is getting me the exact figure) for phone calls, letters and time. It turns out he has not yet advertised in the Gazette, and rather than proceed with the annulment he advised my mother to wait while it was advertised 'in case any other creditors come forward' - What? Does he think we are stupid? I fear he will move fast to advertise now to keep this on his desk and rack up fees - advising my mother to again seek advice on getting the bankruptcy set aside, despite being bounced back by the courts last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                            I'd really like to investigate this case further if possible.:beagle:
                            Excellent.

Comment

We've now exchanged details and I shall be making some urgent enquiries :mod:
                              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X