• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax / Bailfs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax / Bailfs

Today at 3.45pm i had a bailfs letter attached to my back door it for a .. final notice Magistrates liabilty order/warrant of execution dated 24/10/13 ....i rang the bailfs mans number spoke to him he was nasty n agressive i told him i havnt got the money to pay this in full and culd offer 20 pound aweek as im a single mum n work part time 16hrs week .. he sed i carnt make a payment offer he wants the money in full tomrw 2pm or he taking my goods ... HELP what do i do he was really nasty on the fone .. goin local CAB in the morning .. he was from Rossendales .. im really scared my goods will be took can i arrange a payment plan help me please
    Tags: None

Re: council tax / Bailfs

First of all. welcome to Legal Beagles!

Secondly, always remember - bailiffs tell lies!

Do not let the bugger in to your house, whatever he might say or threaten he will do - and try to record his threats, either on a video camera or a mobile 'phone. If he threatens to have you arrested or to return with a locksmith, a recording of the boorish brute stating he has such powers could be quite useful.

Unless you had previously let him in, he may not lawfully force entry. Do not even open the door to him, as Tosserdales are trained to jam a steel-capped boot in the door to stop it being closed and to heave against the door; they would afterwards claim they were "peaceably admitted" and it would be a matter of your word against his. I know the weather is unseasonably warm, but keep your doors and windows closed and locked. It would also be wise to close your curtains, shades or shutters, lest the bugger tries to invent an inventory by peeping through the windows. If you have a motor vehicle, lock it away in a garage if possible or, at the very least, park it several streets away.

Comment

How much do you owe?

Which council is it?

Comment

Hello thankyou for advice amount owed is 1145.99 and it newark and sherwood council .. i rang his mobile that he left on the letter and he was nasty i asked to make payment he sed no im not allowed to and he see me tomrw 2pm to collect full amount or take my goods .. i work 16hrs week single paretn im so scared wuld i be able to arrange a payment plan ? or washe lyin thankyou

Comment

As I remarked above, he is a liar.

There is also no law that requires you to deal with a bailiff, to speak to a bailiff, to spit on a bailiff or to piddle on a bailiff even if he were to catch fire.

Keep your doors and windows closed and locked, and any motor vehicles locked away (or parked elsewhere - the garage where it's serviced could be a good idea) and there is nothing the loud-mouthed oaf can do.

As you are a single parent, you should be considered to be vulnerable but, as the bästärd bailiff seems not to care at all for the rules or guidelines under which he is supposed to operate, that could be used to get the council to stop enforcement or, better, to recall the debt from their appointed bullies.

I'll look up the details of the Chief Executive Officer for the council in a moment. Your local, elected councillors and MP can be found at https://www.writetothem.com

Do not make any payments to the bailiff, as they will take their lawful, unlawful and invented fees before passing on anything left to the council.
          Instead, make your payments directly to the council, ideally by online banking or their online payment service.

Comment

So shall i ring newark and sherwood council first thing in the morning to offer them a payment .. or go to the local cab office first thing as he sed he be back at my house at 2pm tomrw.. he hasnt been in my house i will keep blinds closed and doors n windows locked .. im so scared .. i want them to arrange payment plan with me .. council or rossendales who to make payment plan with .. there is just me and my lad lives here . Thankyou for the advice much apperciated

Comment

If you speak to the Council I'll guarantee they will tell you they cannot help & you must deal with the Bailiff. They can help but choose not to. The Bailiff is only after one thing and that will be an excuse to ramp up his fees, regardless of what he says he does not have any automatic right of entry to your home - he has to gain peaceful entry, usually by you inviting him in - a seriously bad idea. If he does call then speak to him through the letter box or an upstairs window as he may try to jam his foot in the door. He possibly knows you are a single mum and his intention will be to intimidate or bully you.

He cannot have you jailed, arrested, put in handcuffs or threaten to have your children taken into care. The Police may only attend to prevent a breach of the peace & threat of a locksmith is just pie in the sky. If you do speak to the Council then you tell them - not ask - that you will pay them direct as the Bailiff has intimidated & bullied you and you are now frightened.

Comment

I didn't post the address for you to contact your elected councillors purely because I like seeing text appearing on the screen. :grin:
                I suggest you contact them tomorrow - it's a bit late now, and they probably need all the beauty sleep they can get.

The local CAB may be able to hep, but they can be a bit variable in the quality of advice or help they offer. In my opinion, you'd be wiser to make a regular payment directly to the council by the online payments system - http://www.newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk/transactions/pay/ - where you will also find a Standing Order form for you to take to your bank once you've edited it appropriately. If all you can sensibly afford is £10 per week, then that is what the Standing Order should state.

Do not set up a Direct Debit, as it will try to take all the debt at one go, fail, try again, fail again and cost you more in bank charges.

Do not pay Rossendales!

I have found the details for the CEO, who was not listed at http://www.ceoemail.com - he soon will be, though!

Chief Executive
                Andrew Muter email - andrew.muter@nsdc.info tel: 01636 655200 twitter: https://twitter.com/andrewmuter

Deputy Chief Executive
                Kirsty Cole email - kirsty.cole@nsdc.info tel: 01636 655210

Director of Resources
                David Dickinson - david.dickinson@nsdc.info

Comment

Thankyou everyone i couldnt sleep lastnite at all .. was scared .. was told by a friend tho that after 2pm today then can recall anytime day or nite??? i hope i can sort it today im goin to the cab office and will fone the council .. do you know which department i ask to speak to thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by tammy View Post
                    Thankyou everyone i couldnt sleep lastnite at all .. was scared .. was told by a friend tho that after 2pm today then can recall anytime day or nite??? i hope i can sort it today im goin to the cab office and will fone the council .. do you know which department i ask to speak to thankyou
                    Your friend, I regret, is not well-informed. Bailiffs are currently not permitted to levy distress between the hours of 9 pm and 6 am. If they are caught doing so, they can end up having some awkward questions to answer or the imprint of a police officer's boot on their buttocks.

Bailiffs cannot lawfully refuse any reasonable offer of payment, nor can they force you to pay more than you can realistically afford. Not only do they lie, they also tend to be disingenuous and some can be downright dishonest. The late Lord Denning, a former Master of the Rolls, branded them "a 12th Century solution to a 21st Century problem".
                    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

thankyou bluebottle

Comment

CAB advice can be variable so be warned. In many instances I have heard of the advice has been that you have to let the Bailiff in and then pay him - this is downright dangerous. You are more liable to get better advice here.

Comment

Want to say a Big thankyou for EVERYONES advice that was given .... I rang the council (as advise by you all) the woman was lovley on the phone , i told her the bailf had scared the life out off me , she rang Rossendales on my behalf and have now set up a payment plan off £15 a week and bailf has been called off ....... i didnt go top the cab office just rang council direct . Thankyou so very much for all advice given I high rekoned this page to all my fiends Thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by tammy View Post
                            Want to say a Big thankyou for EVERYONES advice that was given .... I rang the council (as advise by you all) the woman was lovley on the phone , i told her the bailf had scared the life out off me , she rang Rossendales on my behalf and have now set up a payment plan off £15 a week and bailf has been called off ....... i didnt go top the cab office just rang council direct . Thankyou so very much for all advice given I high rekoned this page to all my fiends Thankyou
                            You must, absolutely must, follow this up with a letter confirming the telephone conversation and the details of the payment plan. Send it to the Council by Recorded Delivery and keep a copy.

Comment

I will do thankyou

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X