• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax - Bailiff Payments - Change Due To Pregnancy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax - Bailiff Payments - Change Due To Pregnancy?

My flatmate and I, got behind on our council tax due to our fault.

In August this year, we got a letter from Newlyn (to my old address in Lancashire, which finally got to me) to say that bailiffs would call in 7 days. I called them as soon as I got the letter to make a payment plan. At this stage we had 2012 and 2013 council tax outstanding and were given two figures.

At that stage we arranged to pay it off at £490.00 a month - which we have done for August, September, October and November. By the time October came, we had paid off the 'first amount' and were on to our second set of repayments.

My flat mate is pregnant (32 weeks) and has been ill throughout most of the pregnancy. As a result she has been off work since September with pregnancy related illnesses. She is now only on half pay, so our financial situation has changed massively.

I called Newlyn today to explain this and they said that there was nothing they could do, they could not discuss a repayment plan of a different amount with us.

I have spoken to our council and they have said there is nothing they can do.... Apparently the payments we have made so far have paid off 2013 council tax in full and not 2012 (although £245 has now gone towards 2012)... I assumed we would have paid of 2012 and would now be paying off 2013 but apparently that is not the case at all.

As it stands we own £1200 which we do want to pay off, but just not at the rate of £490.00 a month as we have been doing... But Newlyn won't accept this and the council say they can not help. We want to pay it off at £200 a month, so it will be cleared at a reasonable rate.

Is there anything anyone can suggest?

Thanks in advance!

S

Re: Council Tax - Bailiff Payments - Change Due To Pregnancy?

Which council has told you the untruth that they "cannot" intervene?

How much CT was owed for 2012 ?

How much CT is payable for 2013 ?

Did Newlyn levy distress on any of your goods?

Did Newlyn tell you what charges and fees they have taken from your payments?

Comment

Barnet Council

2012 - £1370
      2013 - £1200 left to pay

We have paid them £1595 since August

Newlyn never came to my property (only an old address & not the one which relates to council tax - where I live)

They haven't told me what charges are on the account, but I have never asked

Thanks

Comment

Use Letter 1 from http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters to get a breakdown of fees. Does the Bailiff have your current address?

Comment

Originally posted by ScarlettUK View Post
          Barnet Council

2012 - £1370
          2013 - £1200 left to pay

We have paid them £1595 since August
          Are you sure?

4 x £490 = £ 1,960 - or it did when I was still at school. :nerd:

There's a £ 375 discrepancy which could be due to various and sundry, invented fees.

Comment

Sorry that might be my bad maths...I have logged into my Newlyn account to check the details properly

We paid them £490 per month for 4 months... Last month by flatmate couldn't pay, but I did and I called them to explain but they didn't really say much just to call back this month. I have called back today as she is still unable to pay, and we would like to propose a lower monthly repayment fee due to the circumstances.

So I have paid them £495 X 4 and one payment of £245 for November.

When I called them to start the payments, the letter said we owed £1398 for council tax from 2012. When I called them they said that 2013 was also sent to them so to sort out payments to cover both... Which we set at £490.00 a month. We had two references numbers for the payments, one for each of the years. One of those accounts is now closed and we have one account left.

The original outstanding for this was £1,515.00 which will be for a full years council tax plus their fees. The £245 I paid in Novmber has been taken off of this so we now have an outstanding balance of £1270 outstanding. I assumed that this was for 2013s outstanding, but apparently the payments we have made have been put against 2013 first and 2012 is still outstanding and see as urgent because it as been so long... The fact that we have paid them since August a large amount doesn't come into account because that paid off 2013 apparently. They said that is just the way it is.

They do have my current address (I have lived here 2 years) but they havent sent anything through recently. The last written correspondence was to my old address in August, when I called them to set up the payment plan.

I was hoping to pay off the £1270 over 6 months either via them or the council but they are all unable/unwiling to help

Thanks for all your help

S

Comment

Providing they have not gained entry and levied on any goods or done so on anything outside there fees are capped at £42-50 and no matter how many visits they make they can charge no more. Howeveras it is Newlyn we are talking about, they are very inventive with their fees - so much so that I believe a new Famous Five story will be invented around them.

Of course there is nothing to stop you paying the Council direct at a level you can afford via online banking, Council website or automated phone. Will it upset the Bailiff - yes it will but so what, teach them to be more cooperative in the future.

Comment

Sorry that might be my bad maths...I have logged into my Newlyn account to check the details properly
                For rather low values of "properly"? :nerd:

(That's a criticism of Newlyn's site, not you!)

We paid them £490 per month for 4 months... Last month by flatmate couldn't pay, but I did ...

So I have paid them £495 X 4 and one payment of £245 for November.
                I know the difference only totals £20, but were the payments 4 x £490 or 4 x £495 ?

When I called them to start the payments, the letter said we owed £1398 for council tax from 2012.
                Whereas, earlier today, you stated that you owed £1370 for 2012. Is the extra £28 due to council costs?

As for the other calculations, I'd need to know how much CT was payable for 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  For rather low values of "properly"? :nerd:

(That's a criticism of Newlyn's site, not you!)

I know the difference only totals £20, but were the payments 4 x £490 or 4 x £495 ?

Whereas, earlier today, you stated that you owed £1370 for 2012. Is the extra £28 due to council costs?

As for the other calculations, I'd need to know how much CT was payable for 2013.
                  I don't think we have ever been given a break down of charges (though I have no ever asked for one)

Sorry for confusing things - we both pay them £245 a month, so we pay them £490.00.

To be honest with you, I have had one letter from them - sent to a wrong address - which paniced me and then we started paying the amount they stated. Looking back I should have asked for more details before I went ahead and paid.

A relative has suggested that we write to them and advise how much we can pay (£200 a month) and the reasons why we can't pay anymore... and then start making those payments as we agree.. But I don't know if this is viable, or something that we can do.

Am I still entitled to write to Newlyn and ask for details of all the payments I have made and the charges they have raised?

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

I don't think we have ever been given a break down of charges (though I have no ever asked for one)

Sorry for confusing things - we both pay them £245 a month, so we pay them £490.00.

To be honest with you, I have had one letter from them - sent to a wrong address - which paniced me and then we started paying the amount they stated. Looking back I should have asked for more details before I went ahead and paid.

A relative has suggested that we write to them and advise how much we can pay (£200 a month) and the reasons why we can't pay anymore... and then start making those payments as we agree.. But I don't know if this is viable, or something that we can do.

Am I still entitled to write to Newlyn and ask for details of all the payments I have made and the charges they have raised?

Thanks for all your help!
                    Personally I wouldn't bother with them. If you pay the Council direct they in turn will notify the Bailiffs a payment has been made. It is never too late to ask for a breakdown of fees you have been charged.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X