• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Liability orders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liability orders

Please could someone give me some advice? Can a council issue 2 liability orders for the same debt?

I moved in with my boyfriend on Easter Sunday this year, just as the new years council tax bills were issued. He called them to say that he was no longer entitled to single persons discount as I had moved in, and could they send a revised bill. 6 weeks later, we got the new bill but it still showed the single persons discount, he called back and explained again that I was now living there and they again said they would send a new bill. 4 weeks later we hadn't received it so he called again and they said it would be send in the next few days (each time he explained that he wouldn't pay until he had a correct bill as he wanted to know how much it was).

July we got a letter saying they were taking him to court for in August non payment of council tax 2013 - 2014, they subsequently got a LO issued and the bailiffs came knocking. We explained that we were waiting for a correct bill and they said as it was in dispute they would give us some time to sort it.

My boyfriend has emails to and from the council dating back to when this first happened (he followed up every call with an email to confirm what was discussed etc), they didn't always reply,but we did get the "thank you for your email, we will be in touch within 10 working days" auto response, they never replied denying or correcting any of the information he had given, so we assume that they agreed it was a true account of the conversations that had taken place.

They apparently took him back to court in November and won another LO which is for the same debt as the one issued in August (council tax for 2013 -2014), can they do this please?

This morning a bailiff knocked, we again explained that we had never actually had a correct bill from the council and once we had one, we have no problems paying it. He was really nice and actually said that they have come across this before with this council and to ring them on Monday and ask what was happening.

I realise we should probably have paid a token amount but given that this is their error as we informed them that it should be joint council tax not single persons we're well peed off that this has happened.

Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Liability orders

The answer to your question is that if the local authority knew there was a problem with your CT bill, they should have corrected it and not gone scuttling off to the Magistrates Court to obtain an LO. I have no doubt they neglected to mention the bill was in dispute when they applied for the LO.

As regards the bailiff's seemingly pleasant behaviour, my suspicion is that due to the fact the local authority is through to the final round of auditions for The Muppet Show, and that this particular local authority has done this sort of thing before, there is a question mark over whether the LOs are valid or not, especially if you did not receive a summons and did not find out about the LOs until the local authority informed you.

The bailiff's advice to speak to the local authority on Monday is sound. I would also get your ward councillor(s) involved and also your MP. These people can put a rocket under the local government officers responsible for this mess and, hopefully, sort it out.
    Last edited by bluebottle; 23rd November 2013, 17:44:PM.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Broke Not Broken View Post

This morning a bailiff knocked, we again explained that we had never actually had a correct bill from the council and once we had one, we have no problems paying it. He was really nice and actually said that they have come across this before with this council and to ring them on Monday and ask what was happening.
      This is how a bailiff with common sense should behave!
      The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge View Post
        Exactly so, that bailiff deserves praise for doing the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge View Post
          I couldn't agree with you more, Sir Vere.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Update ...

Other half tried to ring the council yesterday and again got the "we're busy so leave your name and number and we will call you back within 24 hours" - if they are true to form, said call back will not happen (we're still waiting for a call back from 8 weeks ago). Other half emailed the council and put everything in the email AGAIN explaining all the circumstances and they now have 10 days to reply (according to their automated email) so we will see what happens.

Thank you all for your comments .. and yes for once a decent bailiff!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X