• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with Equita - What are my rights?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Equita - What are my rights?!

Hello,

Sorry if this has already been asked.

I was living at a property under Birmingham City Council. I was a student for the majority of the time I lived there but was constantly sent letters from Equita demanding payment. For 2.5yrs I had numerous visits from them and every time I would show them my student status and they would stop any action.

Now, when I started work in Jan of this year I contacted the council and set up a direct debit agreement for my council tax. In May I moved house which came under a different council so I closed my account at Birmingham City, gave them my forwarding address and thought that was the end of it.

In July I received a bailiff letter from Equita demanding payment for my previous address. I called the council directly who informed me that there was a period between finishing my degree and starting work that I would owe council tax for. This had never been mentioned but was owed nonetheless. The lady asked that I fax them my student details, again, and she would calculate the actual balance. In the meantime I called Equita and told them it was being dealt with however while on the phone I was told the bailiffs were on their way to take my good unless I paid them some money to stop the action. I stupidly paid them £30!! Two days later a bailiff came to my house, I explained the situation to him, he was perfectly pleasant and said he would put a 14 day hold on things.

On 26th July I spoke with the council who gave me the balance which I paid then and there to them. I then contacted the bailiff to tell him it was all closed and dealt with, this had to be done on voicemail as there was no answer.

Approx 6 days later another bailiff came to my house demanding payment. I explained the whole story to him and he said that until the council told them, they would continue to add charges for visits to my house. I explained that there was no need to keep coming to my house as I have left 3 voicemails telling them it had been dealt with.

Today I received a letter from Equita demanding money for the charges they added for their visits. I called the council who confirmed that there was no money owed to them. I called Equita who said the money was their fees, despite the letter stating it was 'unpaid council tax'. I was trying to explain that there should not be any fees as their visits were not required and I had left numerous voicemails to that effect. The person I spoke to was so rude and aggressive on the phone that I ended up becoming quite upset. He was taunting me and laughing at me on the phone and telling me that they would be coming to get me and my belongings. I told him I would call the police to which he announced to those in his office and had a good laugh.

Sorry for the very long post, wanted to give as much info as possible. I just need to know what my rights are and what I should do. I can't live in fear of coming home to nothing.

Thank you for any advice.
    Tags: None

Re: Help with Equita - What are my rights?!

Originally posted by StGe View Post
    Hello,

Sorry if this has already been asked.

I was living at a property under Birmingham City Council. I was a student for the majority of the time I lived there but was constantly sent letters from Equita demanding payment. For 2.5yrs I had numerous visits from them and every time I would show them my student status and they would stop any action.

Now, when I started work in Jan of this year I contacted the council and set up a direct debit agreement for my council tax. In May I moved house which came under a different council so I closed my account at Birmingham City, gave them my forwarding address and thought that was the end of it.

In July I received a bailiff letter from Equita demanding payment for my previous address. I called the council directly who informed me that there was a period between finishing my degree and starting work that I would owe council tax for. This had never been mentioned but was owed nonetheless. The lady asked that I fax them my student details, again, and she would calculate the actual balance. In the meantime I called Equita and told them it was being dealt with however while on the phone I was told the bailiffs were on their way to take my good unless I paid them some money to stop the action. I stupidly paid them £30!! Two days later a bailiff came to my house, I explained the situation to him, he was perfectly pleasant and said he would put a 14 day hold on things.

On 26th July I spoke with the council who gave me the balance which I paid then and there to them. I then contacted the bailiff to tell him it was all closed and dealt with, this had to be done on voicemail as there was no answer.

Approx 6 days later another bailiff came to my house demanding payment. I explained the whole story to him and he said that until the council told them, they would continue to add charges for visits to my house. I explained that there was no need to keep coming to my house as I have left 3 voicemails telling them it had been dealt with.

Today I received a letter from Equita demanding money for the charges they added for their visits. I called the council who confirmed that there was no money owed to them. I called Equita who said the money was their fees, despite the letter stating it was 'unpaid council tax'. I was trying to explain that there should not be any fees as their visits were not required and I had left numerous voicemails to that effect. The person I spoke to was so rude and aggressive on the phone that I ended up becoming quite upset. He was taunting me and laughing at me on the phone and telling me that they would be coming to get me and my belongings. I told him I would call the police to which he announced to those in his office and had a good laugh.

Sorry for the very long post, wanted to give as much info as possible. I just need to know what my rights are and what I should do. I can't live in fear of coming home to nothing.

Thank you for any advice.
    send a Formal complaint to the council copied to CEO, and leader, and Equita, regarding their agent Equita demanding fees for counci ltax enforcement for council tax not owed due to Student status, and an obviously erroneous liability order. The council are infested by Crapita who own equita by the way, so you must bear in mind that when you think you are speaking to the council you are speaking to Crapita. You need to ask the council also
    How many liability orders they have for you
    When were they obtained
    What financial years they apply to
    When were they passed to Equita

Once you have this post back so beagles can advise further.
    Last edited by bizzybob; 17th September 2013, 11:52:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X