• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Baliifs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baliifs

I had a visit from the baliffs today for unpaid council tax i have phoned the baliffs and have offered them a monthly payment after i calculated my income and expenditure. i offered to pay them £50 a month which they declined and asked for £179 which is way more than what i have left after i pay my priority bills. they say they only do it over a 12 month period which i know is wrong. PLEASE HELP with some advise. thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Baliifs

Hi Mollymo and welcome to Legal Beagles, what council and bailiffs is this? How much does the bailiff say you owe as opposed to what the council are saying?

Comment

Hi and welcome to Legal Beagles.

Firstly, the bailiffs cannot dictate how much you should pay. Secondly, they cannot legitimately force you to pay more than you can realistically afford. Thirdly, golden rule of dealing with bailiffs is that they lie. Fourthly, if you can only afford to pay £50 a month, that is all you can pay. You can pay directly to the council. It is against the law for the council to refuse a payment.

Could you answer these questions, please -

1. How much is the CT arrears in total?
      2. How many Liability Orders do the council have against you?
      3. How many times have the bailiffs visited your home?
      4. Which bailiff company is involved?
      5. Which council is involved?

Another golden rule of dealing with bailiffs is DO NOT LET THEM INTO YOUR HOME. If you have a car, hide it or move it well away from your home so they cannot levy on it.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thank you for your replies, the council is sheffield and the baliffs are Equita, it is for last years CT which was just short of £1000, I think its just the 1 liabilty against me, the baliffs hand posted 4 letters with differant totals on adding up to just over £2000. my son was in and nobody knocked at the door glad he didn't answer it. I phoned the baliffs up when i got home from work and the council and they said i had to deal with the baliffs.

Comment

Thank you for your replies, the council is sheffield and the baliffs are Equita, it is for last years CT which was just short of £1000, I think its just the 1 liabilty against me, the baliffs hand posted 4 letters with differant totals on adding up to just over £2000. my son was in and nobody knocked at the door glad he didn't answer it. I phoned the baliffs up when i got home from work and the council and they said i had to deal with the baliffs.

Comment

Looks like it is a Crapita council, so beware when contacting the council, as Capita own Equita, so will do their best to line their bailiffs pocket. Do as BB says DO NOT let them in, as it is Equita they have most likely added fees upfront before even calling which is illegal, so ask the council how much you owe, and send letter 1 from here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters to Equita.

When they reply post up what they said, and Beagles will help you challenge any dodgy fees.

Comment

Thank you so much for the link i will post any reply i get. Thanks again bizzybob.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X