• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Back date council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back date council tax

Hi,Since losing my job in 2008,due to a ill health,and being on ESA benefit I didn't apply for council tax benefit as I was suffering from depression and was just unable to cope with issues,just the thought of filling in the application form was a struggle,and no help available .

Now 4 years on I've found a job,my health has got better off benefits feeling a lot better.
    The problem now is the time that I wasn't working and was on ESA benefit the council has still charged me 4 years council tax,is there anyway around telling them to waiver this charge due to the fact I was not in a right state of mind and was unable to control my owe affairs due to depression medication and just was unable to cope with everyday issues.Im sure that if I did apply for council benefit I would have got it paid due to the fact I was out of work and claiming benefit.

So basically any help would be helpful thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Back date council tax

You can try but I think you will find it falls on deaf ears. May be contacting your local Councillor(s) to see if they can exert any influence.

Comment

IF there is it would cost councils millions cannot see this happenng best comtact council and reach a repayment agreement before bailiffs are involved

Comment

Originally posted by sanj View Post
        Hi,Since losing my job in 2008,due to a ill health,and being on ESA benefit I didn't apply for council tax benefit as I was suffering from depression and was just unable to cope with issues,just the thought of filling in the application form was a struggle,and no help available .

Now 4 years on I've found a job,my health has got better off benefits feeling a lot better.
        The problem now is the time that I wasn't working and was on ESA benefit the council has still charged me 4 years council tax,is there anyway around telling them to waiver this charge due to the fact I was not in a right state of mind and was unable to control my owe affairs due to depression medication and just was unable to cope with everyday issues.Im sure that if I did apply for council benefit I would have got it paid due to the fact I was out of work and claiming benefit.

So basically any help would be helpful thanks
        Were you sectioned under the Mental Health Act, Sanj? If so, you would have been deemed to be incapable of administering your own affairs and subject to the jurisdiction of the Court of Protection and any demands such as CT would have to be directed to a CoP-appointed attorney or receiver.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X