• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Greeted by this today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeted by this today

Hello to all, i shall try and keep this short and precise.
    Today my wife was on a fourteen hour shift and myself a twelve hour shift. I received a text from my daughter at 08:00 saying a baliff has been ! It was regarding my wife.
    May i add at this point, my seventeen year old daughter was upstairs in bed, my son had left the door unlocked when he went to school (words have been said regarding the unlocked door). My daughter (being the lazy soul she is) heard the door knocking and bell ringing and chose to ignore it, then heard a male voice, in our house repeatedly saying hello, baliff had entered my house uninvited.
    I arrived home to find two documents had been left, one in the morning and one at 17:30, i just missed them.
    All we can think it is, is a penalty notice in 2010 for eighty pounds (D&D i called it ) which we think was increased for non payment to £120 :/ . It was not issued by the courts, but by the police.
    So that is the explanation.
    I have had a look around the forum on related subjects, doors and windows locked now The car is registered to myself. If i answer the door (if wife is at work ), what can he do. I understand the massive rise in the total is the company trying to make a profit (i think).
    I hope this is clear and i just want to know, when they call again, am i "safe" to open the door to them but not invite them in (are they vampires) hectic and worrying day really but thanks for reading and any help offered
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dictap; 23rd May 2013, 21:31:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Greeted by this today

As they parking offences were issued by the police they will be Fixed Penalty Notices and will be enforced through the Magistrates' Court.

Have a read of the link below. There is a very strict procedure for Magistrates' Courts fines - in particular, did you receive a Further Steps Notice?

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...s-Courts-Fines

Fees vary between authorities and are legislated by Section Nine of the link below:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/18/contents

Comment

Thanks for the reply, it wasn't a parking offence, more like a noise, she wouldn't shut up when asked. Anyway, as for the further steps notice, she hasn't received that, as far as we are aware, but we have moved address since. On checking the certified baliff register, i do not see the persons name on the list

Comment

In that case, if you go back to the link, it tells you what to do re the Further Steps Notice. It also gives a number to call for details about the bailiff. If the place you phone (Northampton) don't have it, ask the bailiff company in which court he was certificated.

I'd also send Letter 1 from here to get a detailed breakdown of the bailiff fees:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters

Comment

Whilst I would not suggest that one should not ask the buggers to explain their charges, it does look like their standard £85 + £215.

Another point worth making is that, as no Notice of Seizure seems to have been left, no goods or chattels seem to have been distrained and hence no additional fees would be payable for that.

I wonder when this bailiff hopes to get his certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by dictap View Post
            it wasn't a parking offence, more like a noise, she wouldn't shut up when asked.
            What?

There is much to be said for the old penalty of the brank. (link) :grin:

On checking the certified baliff register, i do not see the persons name on the list
            He's still in training.

Comment

Originally posted by dictap View Post
              Thanks for the reply, it wasn't a parking offence, more like a noise, she wouldn't shut up when asked. Anyway, as for the further steps notice, she hasn't received that, as far as we are aware, but we have moved address since. On checking the certified baliff register, i do not see the persons name on the list
              email Marstons and ask them to clarify the bailiffs full name and the date and courts they were registered.

Comment

Originally posted by Qpips View Post
                email Marstons and ask them to clarify the bailiffs full name and the date and courts they were registered.
                See post 4! :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                  See post 4! :beagle:
                  Whoops!

Comment

Better to be told twice than not at all!

Comment

Hello, we have returned today after staying with a relative (had to get the wife away for a break) to this letter from them. My neighbour says its scare tactics to try and make us pay them in full, which we simply cannot afford to do.
                      Also, they have not visited since the lasy visit, which they claimed they were going to do.
                      thanks for reading and any advice offered
                      May i also add that we do not live at the address anymore when she recieved the penalty, Marstons is the first time we have heard of this
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by dictap; 7th June 2013, 12:44:PM.

Comment

An update, have not heard from Marstons a all since the last letter. On thursday the wife received a letter from the courts requesting the payment of the original £120 pound fine and that there was a warrant out. promptyly paid the fine in full and the warrant has been now removed.

Comment

Hi dictap,

Where do you live?
                          & could you give the name of the baliff?
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Please be aware, Dictap, that Marstons omit pertinent information from their threat-o-grams. They cannot force entry without first obtaining authority from a nominated officer at the court that issued the Distress Warrant and they have to justify the need to force entry. They cannot force entry nilly-willy as and when they feel like it. They are not permitted to seize vehicle which are for use in connection with your employment, business or vocation.

Also, claiming you are avoiding paying the fine or attempting to engineer a situation where it is difficult or impossible to pay the fine, is an absolute no-no, as Collectica have recently found out. In the case involving Collectica, they lied to both the debtor and HMCTS and were found out. HMCTS, to their credit, pulled the Distress Warrant immediately. I am just waiting to see if Collectica get other cases they have handled investigated and action is taken against them.
                            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                              Hi dictap,

Where do you live?
                              & could you give the name of the baliff?
                              Scunthorpe and the baliff was called Woollas, who still doesnt show on the registered baliffs list.
                              I get the impression that this was given back to the courts, may i be correct>

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X