• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP letter

This was my story, i've now had a letter from RLP, they want £162.39!!!!!!
    Yesterday i stupidly tried to shoplift a pot of face cream £14 from Tesco, something i have never done before and god knows what lead me to do this, i was caught and admitted what i'd done straight away. There was no point in showing myself anymore by trying to lie.
    I was taken to a freezing cold room at the back of the store asked again what i'd done so again i co-operated fully. The guy looked down his nose at me and told me he was calling the police. i asked him how long it might take them and I explained that i am a diabetic and needed to take medication in 40 minutes which was at home. I didn't get a reply. half an hour later a first aider came to see me and i again explained i needed to take medication and asked for a drink, i was refused and basically told it was my own fault i didn't have my medication with me. I realise this now. In total i was locked in this room for 4 and 3/4 hours with only 2 glasses of cold water. i was visited a further 3 times and practically begged each time for a warm drink as it was so cold but was told as i was a thief cold water was all i would be getting. i do appreciate what i did was wrong but also think i should have been treated a bit more like a human. the police never arrived and eventually i was sent home with a RLP letter.
    Aunty P
    Tags: None

Re: RLP letter

Hi what do you want us to do? You stole, you got caught? Pay the fine

Comment

RLP are as iffy as a crooked bailiff unfortunately. They are basing a Civil Claim on a consequential loss of pennies and adding the "cost" of staff time investigating, They rarely do court as they have no proper grounds, they are akin to a PPC like parking Eye.

Comment

Somecamel
        Since when has a private company the authority to impose a fine?

Comment

Originally posted by Somecamel View Post
          Sorry, but this is very poor advice. Letters from RLP are no more than a speculative invoice as I understand things. I will leave others more knowledgeable in this area to give full advice, but I know enough to say do NOT under any circumstances follow the advice I have quoted here - it is wrong!

Comment

That's just rude Somecamel......and totally unnecessary.

Comment

I am totally appalled by the behaviour of Tesco's and RLP in holding a person hostage who is diabetic and in a cold room and not even a hot drink. Personally, I know what you did was wrong - but you owned up to it and all they had to do was to take you details and send you on your way. Imprisoning you in this way is barbaric and totally unnecessary IMHO. People who commit much larger crimes do not get that sort of punishment and when did they become judge and jury.

Comment

RLP are parasites in the same way as Parking Eye they infest the retail sector as a "Loss Recovery Agent, who say they will help recover the losses caused by a shoplifter, unfortunately like a certain bailiff co beginning with M who are getting sensitive about their expoure for chasing innocents for another's fine, RLP have also sent these "Invoices" to people who have done nothing wrong, short of taking about 10 minutes to produce the receipt when the alarm goes off, due to the checkout operator not removing g the security chip in a product like a DVD, RLP will invoice them for the time they were detained proving they had bought the goods.

Comment

With respect, you are entitled to your opinion but that doesnt mean it is the right one.

Theft is wrong, no question, however so is unlawful imprisonment.

There is no legal right for RLP to claim such over inflated sums, period.

There was a case last year which this site has a copy of the judgment and which clarified that RLP were not entitled to do what they were doing.
                  I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                    There is no legal right for RLP to claim such over inflated sums, period.

There was a case last year which this site has a copy of the judgment and which clarified that RLP were not entitled to do what they were doing.
                    Please see the attached file.
                    Attached Files

Comment

My Apologies if I came over a bit blunt but I failed to see what you were asking for? You stole something.

I don't agree with the way you were treated btw.

Since when is shoplifting not dealt with by the police nowadays?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                        Somecamel
                        Since when has a private company the authority to impose a fine?
                        Tv Licensing:P

Comment

If the police had prosecuted the OP they would have gone to court then if PROVEN guilty they may have been fined unless the police lawfully issued a fixed penalty notice that is what happens in our society the police do not send out a demand for money like RLP Somecamel i would then agree with you that if fined the OP should pay the fine the police and justice system are the law not RLP or any other commercial company in it purely for profit

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X