• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Newlyn Bailiffs RE: Council Tax

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Newlyn Bailiffs RE: Council Tax

Try this - submitted for others to correct or improve:

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your rather less than helpful letter of 12 July 2013.

It was interesting to learn that your allegedly certificated bailiff, whom you aver was working "as instructed by [your] office", had sought to levy distress on two vehicles which I do not own. I do understand that DVLA checks may take some days to produce results, but I told you some weeks ago that I do not own a vehicle and that consequently the levy was invalid.

Your reliance on the case of Observer Limited v Gordon (1983) is hardly wise, as subsequent judgements have modified that ruling. Moreover, I would wish to remind you of the report by the Local Government Ombudsman from July 2012, concerning the actions of a bailiff from another company who levied distress on two vehicles that did not belong to the debtor when attempting to enforce debts owed to Blaby District Council. The LGO stated that when the ownership of a vehicle is disputed or when the debtor is not present, then the bailiff should check ownership with the DVLA.

As you suggested, I have checked the Central Bailiff Certification Register but can find no trace whatever of Mr Reg Austin. I have enclosed a print-out of the relevant page of the Register and once more request that you tell me at which Court his certificate was issued and when this was done. Indeed, I really must insist upon this, as it would otherwise appear that despite your assurances to the contrary, he does not seem to hold a current General Certificate.

Finally, I require you to provide me with an itemised breakdown of the fees and any other monies you claim I owe, listed with times of visits and reason that such fees were incurred.

Yours Faithfully,

Cornish Pasty

Attached Files

Comment

I'll do one for the council later.

Do you have details of Coventry Council's complaints procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        I'll do one for the council later.

Do you have details of Coventry Council's complaints procedure?
        I do indeed, its attached.

Many thanks for you letter, I will get that off to Newlyns first thing. A similar one for the council would be very much appreciated.

regards
        CP
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is Newlyns latest reply, it appears they have succumbed and droped the unlawful levy, but this does not distract from the fact they tried it on, fraud and money by deception, spring to mind, Coventry Council need to be aware of these con artists.

Comment

Originally posted by cornish pasty View Post
            Here is Newlyns latest reply, it appears they have succumbed and droped the unlawful levy, but this does not distract from the fact they tried it on, fraud and money by deception, spring to mind, Coventry Council need to be aware of these con artists.
            It is interesting that they have finally admitted that, at the time Mr Austin purportedly levied distress on the second of two motor cars, he did not hold a bailiff's certificate - yet they still claim that all fees were correct.

You now need them to tell you who attended on 1 February, 8 March and 25 March; if that was also Mr Austin, they're not entitled to any fees at all.

Comment

AS in No Certificate, cannot apply fees the numpties...

Comment

Contact DVLA's Data Access Unit and ask them if anyone has made enquiries about the two vehicles Newlyns claim they have levied on and when. DO NOT ask who has made enquiries. The timespan is the last 180 days (approximately 6 months). If it comes back as "No Enquiries", Newlyns and Coventry Council, particularly the muppet who claimed what Newlyns are doing is "above board and legal", are in serious trouble.
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I do like the bit about providing them with DVLA evidence about not owning the vehicles.

Comment

Is there a licensing agency for doormats?

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                      I do like the bit about providing them with DVLA evidence about not owning the vehicles.
                      Proving the impossible, has Common Purpose infested Newlyn bailiffs?

Comment

I will continue to seek more information from them before parting with the £42.50 which they may or may not be entitled to.
                        Thanks again for all you help guys
                        Would love to stick it to the council for all the stress these clowns have caused on their behalf

Comment

Have just paid them the £42.50 via their online payment system, can't be bothered with any further stress. The balance reads £0.00 on their site so thats the end of it, thank f**k for that. Many many thanks to all who replied and offered their help, just goes to show that these parasites can be beaten and their correct, legal amount paid. It is a pity the sh*t house council could not be brought to buck for the actions of Nelyns

Comment

Pleased you got a good result - well done for fighting it.

Comment

The beauty about having paid - whether you owe it or not - is that it gives you chance to reflect on what to do without the fear of the knock on the door.

Comment

Originally posted by cornish pasty View Post
                                Have just paid them the £42.50 via their online payment system, can't be bothered with any further stress. The balance reads £0.00 on their site so thats the end of it, thank f**k for that. Many many thanks to all who replied and offered their help, just goes to show that these parasites can be beaten and their correct, legal amount paid. It is a pity the sh*t house council could not be brought to buck for the actions of Nelyns
                                Well done for challenging them!
                                As for the £40-odd, it wasn't worth the stress.
                                As my dad says, big difference between scratching yer backside, & drawing blood!
                                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                                gets his brain a-going.
                                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X