• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rosendales help required.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosendales help required.

First of all hello nice to meet you

i am hoping that someone maybe able to help me with rosendales.

Last week I got a two sheets of paper through my door saying the have Levied a car for my outstanding council tax debt from 2010 and 2011. The debts and charges are all correct and I have no issue paying what is asked but I cannot afford one lump sum. I have sat down and done a budget sheet and worked out I can repay X amount for 11 months then a bit more on the final month (month 12) and will clear the debt.

my questions are as follows: the debt is from before I got married so is in my maiden name but the car they have Levied is in my husbands name is there anything I can do about this? Ie get them to apply for new paperwork in his name etc?

Secondly: Every time I phone Rosendales they tell me I need to speak to the Baliff I charge of my case but I have no idea who that is as the sheets of paper I got through the door don't say who they are or how to contact them. I am trying to let them know that technically the car is not mine and I am trying to organise monthly repayments. Any ideas? I'm quite tempted to send a letter with a photocopy of the cars logbook as proof via recorded mail to their offices but don't know if this is suitable?

I look forward to the help! I should say I have not let them in and the cannot gain access to my house.

Thanks

Pingu xxx
    Tags: None

Re: Rosendales help required.

Hiya and to LegalBeagles....bit early at mo,,but some of our knowledgable bods will be around to help you as soon as.

Lock yer doors and windows...don't let em in under ANY circumstances,,and hold your nerve...help's on it's way xx

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
      Hiya and to LegalBeagles....bit early at mo,,but some of our knowledgable bods will be around to help you as soon as.

Lock yer doors and windows...don't let em in under ANY circumstances,,and hold your nerve...help's on it's way xx
      Thank you for your welcome yep all doors and windows are closed and locked tight unless they can't fit up drain pipes they ain't coming into this house!!!! Xx

Comment

Your debt is yours, not your husbands. If you did not have joint liability before, any levy on his car is invalid. Tell them this and tell the council.

I'd be inclined once the levy is lifted to ignore the bailiffs. You do NOT have to deal with them for CT debts. We d the council your repayment proposals and stick to them rigidly. They will tell you you have to deal with the bailiffs - you don't! As long as that invalid levy is removed you need have nothing to do with them as long as they do not succeed in getting a valid levy.

Write to Head of Revenues at the council with firm repayment proposal. Budget in £42.50 for bailiff fees. State that is what you intend to pay and the National Standards for Enforcement Agents state an affordable repayment proposition should be accepted, so please call bailiffs off and give written acceptance of your offer.

Pay online or via automated telephone service whatever they say, then you know it is being paid.

Any problems, post back up.

Comment

Arguably the levy is invalid, as the debt was accrued prior to your marriage.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys! However I have just recieved the following letter dated 9 May 2013 the day after they levied the car

Notice of Committal Action

As you have failed to make payment arrangments or pay the amount in full we are formally reporting you to your local authority recomending them to apply to Magistraits court for your committal to prison.

It then explains the procedure and then goes on to say

to avoid this action we are provinding you with a final oppertunity for you to contact us with your proposal for payment. You must respond to this letter within 7 days of the date of this letter.

Any ideas on what to do next guys? I have had no letter from them other than the levy posted through my door and this.

Comment

Rossendales are well-known for this type of bullying. I would put the local authority involved on strict notice as to what is actually going on. This should be sent directly to the Chief Executive of the local authority involved. You may need to make a Regulation 46 complaint to the magistrates court that issued the Liability Order, but I would remind the CEO of the local authority involved of the damning indictment of Blaby Council by the Local Government Ombudsman which, surprise, surprise, involved Rossendales. Most local authorities know about the Blaby Council case.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                Rossendales are well-known for this type of bullying.
                Which, in my sincere opinion, is likely to get rather worse now they've been bought by the same private equity money-grubbers who bought Marstons.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  Which, in my sincere opinion, is likely to get rather worse now they've been bought by the same private equity money-grubbers who bought Marstons.
                  Wonder if they will recruit Mr Boast as a training officer, or the Boswell Mare?

Comment

Originally posted by Pingu224 View Post
                    As you have failed to make payment arrangements or pay the amount in full we are formally reporting you to your local authority recommending them to apply to Magistrates court for your committal to prison.

It then explains the procedure and then goes on to say

to avoid this action we are providing you with a final opportunity for you to contact us with your proposal for payment. You must respond to this letter within 7 days of the date of this letter.

Any ideas on what to do next guys?
                    There is no law that requires you to deal with the bailiffs - you only need to contact the council.

If Rossendales actually had credible evidence that you were wilfully refusing to pay your CT - which they have not - then they could report that to the council. As it stands, it is an attempt to use menaces to enforce a debt.

Report them to the police, for an offence contrary to section 21 (link) of the Theft Act 1968.

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
                      Wonder if they will recruit Mr Boast as a training officer, or the Boswell Mare?
                      Probably both.

Comment

This link explains very clearly the procedures for collecting council tax by local authorities. As you can see, the bailiffs cannot and do not apply for commital to prison, the council do. However, if you have avoided many letters and chances from bailiffs, please tell us, otherwise you might just end up with a commital hearing on your hands.

http://www.hackney.gov.uk/f-what-hap...uncil-tax.htm#

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X