• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Threatened with bailiffs - urgent help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Threatened with bailiffs - urgent help needed

:focus:............So guys n gals...what do you suggest the OP does ? (apart from paying it in full)

Comment

Offer the council a payment plan perhaps, on the correct amount, and go into siege mode with the bailiffs hide car, keep them out deny them a levy, until they give up and go away, but keep paying the council to limit your liability for fees to £42.50 for the inevitable First and Second visit, but pervent them lawfully charging van fees enforcement fees, cup of tea whilst bailiff sits outside looking threatening fee, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
        :focus:............So guys n gals...what do you suggest the OP does ? (apart from paying it in full)
        Contact the council ask them to action an attachment of earnings order, get them to send a council tax reclaim form and fill it in so that any over payment can be credited to next years bill.
        Last edited by gravytrain; 12th March 2013, 13:08:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
          Offer the council a payment plan perhaps, on the correct amount, and go into siege mode with the bailiffs hide car, keep them out deny them a levy, until they give up and go away, but keep paying the council to limit your liability for fees to £42.50 for the inevitable First and Second visit, but pervent them lawfully charging van fees enforcement fees, cup of tea whilst bailiff sits outside looking threatening fee, etc.
          How will that prevent the oafs attempting an invalid levy on a neighbour's car or on goods they can see through a window?

Comment

Well I went to see the council today who said I could pay 4 installments of £104 per week to pay off the debt (the correct amount as new debt has been calculated). Though it is a lot of money per week for me to pay, rather this then the **** you get with bailiffs. Because I live in a rented annexe I don't think my landlord would be happy with bailiffs knocking on his door/levying on his car. The council did, however, let me extend the installments beyond the current financial year, which they did not allow me to do beforehand.

Comment

I asked cos I genuinely didn't know the answers,,cheers folks

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                How will that prevent the oafs attempting an invalid levy on a neighbour's car or on goods they can see through a window?
                It won't but it undermines their position somewhat when they fraudulently tell the council OP won't pay, but anyway it is sorted now by the look of things.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  But will it really be a "nil cost option", when the inevitable mistakes by the bailiffs come to light and when the LGO reports on the maladministration of the council?
                  That does not come into the equation and is something that only happens once every so often. What we see here is just the tip of the iceberg as most are so scared they cough without a second thought as to whether it is right or wrong. We talk of the LO process being a rubber stamping exercise affecting hundreds or in some cases thousands of people at a time, why therefore do we only get the fraction that decide to fight back. Don't forget the LGO can only make recommendations and even where they say compo should be paid there are still those Councils that refuse.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X