• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax outstanding balance while i not lived in the property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax outstanding balance while i not lived in the property

Hi,

last Thursday I received delivered by hand letter from bailiffs that I must pay outstanding council tax for a amount of £593.92 from L B Lewisham.

spoke to council in Lewisham and this outstanding balance is for period between 09/08/2008 and 19/12/2008. i moved out from this property to Luton on 07/08/2008 and started to pay council tax over there.

Lewisham council said that i never closed my account with them that's why must pay this outstanding balance. Otherwise i need confirmation from my landlord that i moved out in Aug 2008.That was a private landlord and there is no way i will get hold with him after 4 years.

Until few days ago when i received letter from bailiffs a never had received any final bill or notice from council in lewisham. Please help, I don't want to pay money i do not own.
    Tags: None

Re: council tax outstanding balance while i not lived in the property

When you moved did you notify them you were going? Do you have any proof of Tenancy or payments to Council Tax after you moved to your new address? If they say they have no record of you moving why have they only taken it up to 19/12/2008?

Comment

i spoke to luton council they will send me a proof that i paid council tax to them since Aug 2008, lewisham said that we never notify them that i moved out as far as i remember
      letter was sent

Comment

Sounds like a typical response from a Council. Sounds very much as if someone moved in after you left & never notified them of their occupancy, did a flit later and they have now concocted this story. The proof fromyour present Council should be enough. In the meantime ensure the Bailiff does not gain entry, it may actually pay to ask Lewisham to put this in abeyance for 28 days to allow you time to get your proof.

Comment

thank you, just spoke to lewisham they put on hold bailiffs for 2 weeks, this morning I've been told that proof from my current council is not enough, but now when i spoke to different member of staff he advised that they will accept it. so confusing and time-wasting.
          thanks for your advise

Comment

If you have any proof of a new tenancy or a moving in date as suggested by ploddertom, that of itself along with utility bills should be sufficient,

Comment

Ask the Lewisham loonies how you could inhabit houses in two boroughs at the same time.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X