• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Very pushy Bailiff - felt afraid and violated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very pushy Bailiff - felt afraid and violated

Having never experienced a bailiff before I stupidly invited him in as there was a mix up with the council tax and I was prepared to show him what was really the situation. I thus invited him in - yes I now know - big mistake.

I explained the matter was still being processed with the council even this week and I have proof - yet the bailiff showed up at my door i'm gobsmacked as Im being billed for all this too, he wanted the full amount. I showed him the email etc. Things were seemingly amicable until he wanted to put my laptop on the levy. My home is filled with expensive gear I said pick anything but - he said you dont get to choose. He forced himself into my office and I body blocked him saying I'm a female on my own and your not allowed to do this. I said pick anything but - he then turned sour and said youve just burnt your bridge the money is due in 5 days no negoatiation (this after he said there would be payments on whatever was left owing) and as he left he said "i'm taking down your license plate". i really want to let complain to the council as they have not provided the up to date correspondance on the matter. What can I do about this - I feel very violated.What can i do (if anything) on this. and yes Ive signed the levvy.
    Tags: None

Re: Very pushy Bailiff - felt afraid and violated

Someone will be along to help you soon

Comment

Which firm of bailiffs and which local authority is involved, please?
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
        Which firm of bailiffs and which local authority is involved, please?
        Yay!! hoped you would be around BB..thankyou

Comment

One of the thngs to do is to contact your MP's officce tomorrow and your ward councillor(s) as soon as possible.

Other emmbers will advise you about handling the council tax liability.

Comment

As soon as we know which council and bailiff firm are involved, we can then begin to help you, Opus.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

if this mongrel forced his way in isit not a police matter now must be a hard man to treat a woman like this

Comment

Opus, there are several members who have a good knowledge of exactly how to deal with a situation like this. You have come to a good place to get information advice and support.

Comment

Unfortunately you signed the levy making it enforceable.

Comment

Originally posted by enkat View Post
                    Unfortunately you signed the levy making it enforceable.
                    Not necessarily but unfortunately the OP has never returned to answer any queries.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                      if this mongrel forced his way in isit not a police matter now must be a hard man to treat a woman like this
                      Check out the 1st paragraph - the bailiff was invited in so no forced entry took place.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                        Not necessarily but unfortunately the OP has never returned to answer any queries.
                        Hi Plod, if the OP has signed anything then she has agreed to the levy.

Comment

Not necessarily, as it could be deemed as signed under duress, plus the debt has already been paid, therefore their is no debt owed in which goods have been levied for!
                          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

How do you prove it?

Comment

Originally posted by enkat View Post
                              Hi Plod, if the OP has signed anything then she has agreed to the levy.
                              The levy may still be invalid, unlawful, excessive or irregular dependent on the items seized, they may be on HP. Lease, belong to a 3rd party or exempt. Until such time as we know what has been seized, what debt was initially owing or how & when payments are made then you cannot jump to conclusions. Many times the Bailiff has over egged the basket and had to remove levies because they have been too eager to overcharge and been caught out. The best one I know of is the one who sold the debtors car despite being ordered not to by a Judge - they were over confident - not only did they face the wrath of the Judge but they had to go cap in hand to who they had sold it to and retrieve it. Best bit about it was the "new" owner had not only serviced it but had also put new alloys & tyres on it which also had to be refunded. Since this happened I have only ever seen reference to the company once since - they learnt the hard way.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X