• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

bristow sutor sos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bristow sutor sos

Hello to everyone.We wish we knew about this site a long time ago....
    While i was at work today we were visited by a Bristow&Sutor bailiff.My husband was at home and opened the door.We are in areas with our Council tax since April.
    My husband invited the bloke in to talk about whatever he had to say...unfortunatelly my husband's english is not very good....to make it short he signed a notice of seizure of goods which give us until tomo at 15:30 to come up with 1309 pounds or the bailiff will remove our things tomo.There is no way we can come up with that money in 24 hours and i am really worried as they said the bailiff could remove our things even if we were not at home.
    We want to make an arrangement to pay in instalments but we are terrified that after work tomo i return to an empty house.
    It is our fault that we did not pay the Council tax in time but i look at our girls (who are 5 and 2) and wonder if there is something that we could do to stop losing our things...anything....please help.....
    Tags: None

Re: bristow sutor sos

First thing to say is calm down. I can promise you they won't come tomorrow and take all your goods.

First thing in the morning, telephone your local council and get answers to the following questions. The council may tell you that you must deal with the bailiffs. This is not true, so be persistent - find out the name of the person to whom you are speaking and their position within the council and tell them you are recording the call (do record it if you can):

1. How many Liability Orders they have against you?
    2. The dates they were obtained?
    3. The addresses they were for?
    4. The period of time each covers?
    5. How much each one was for?
    6. How much is still outstanding?
    7. The dates they were passed on for enforcement?

If possible can you list the goods that have been seized, exactly as the bailiff has written it on the notice.

Also have a read of the following, check the certification etc... I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?34067-Council-Tax

Comment

As your husbands first language is not English then you may potentially be classed as vulnerable according to the National Standards for Enforcement Agents. It would appear that the Bailiff has taken advantage of him to gain entry.

Comment

If Bristow & Sutor are involved, I wouldn't be surprised if the £1309 quoted is open to challenge and some of it will mysteriously disappear when challenged. I would also question the validity of any levy and/or seizure, taking account of the fact that English is not the OP's husband's first language. The bailiff took advantage of this and, I would not be surprised, mislead him. Naughty. Very naughty.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thank you to all of for your answers.
          I called the council today and found out the is one liability order against us for the period 1April 2012 to 30 March 2013.The amount is 989.08 pounds.the difference is all charges from b&s.the council said that normally they don't intervene but as my husband is out of work and i am the only earner they could talk to b&s on our behalf and arrange a payment plan of 200 pounds per month.
          i did say that i ddo not agree with their charges...they put 230pounds charges for van but was told that if the bailiff came with the van we have to pay...to me it seems crazy they chose how they came and now expect us to pay for it.the council suggested for us to contact b&s and say that i am not happy that the bailiff took advantage of my husband and got him to sigh something that he did not understand( i mentioned that i believe my husband was vulnerable under the national sandards for enforcement agents thank you pepsie).
          the council advised me to conntact b&s and ask for a complaint form to complain about the charges but until these will ge sorted i have to start making the payments.
          i agree to making the payments but i want those payments to go towards the 989.08 that we owe to the council and said that i would happily pay the council every month.the answer was to call b&s ans ask them if they accept me paying to the council...so now i have to call the bailiff and see what they say...????
          i have to mention that those 24 hours were up at 15:30 today and no bailiff showed up until now..it 's almost23:00
          THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU...!!!!

Comment

it's me again...could anyone explain what levy charges are,please?
            i will post the things listed bsut at the moment i don't have the notice with me.thank you once again

Comment

A levy is when a bailiff comes and levies distress, or seizes goods. You have a Notice of Seizure - the word Seizure could be replaced with Levy. It is highly probable this levy is unlawful given that your husband has little English.

Do you have the breakdown of bailiff's fees or not? If not, would you be able to send Letter 1 from the following link to the bailiff company:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters

We don't have a template letter to suit your exact circumstances which you could send to the council, but we will get one written. Please do not worry about the bailiffs coming back to your property yet, it is unlikely.

Which council is it?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X