• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

bristow & sutor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bristow & sutor

hi there i am new to this sight and really need some advice

I got a letter today from a bailiff bristow @ sutors posted a blue letter wich was headed to myself and an ex partner i was living with this girl nearly 5 years ago and we had a child things started to go down hill there after she said she had post natal depression and started drinking a lot in the end she stole our rent money and never came home one night drinking i had enough leaving me in a right mess i took my son and got full custordy and moved away and on with my life.
    My life was great until 4 years ago my son was diagnosed with lupos and this evetualy the illness took his life he died 2 years ago in alder hay hospital i tried to move on with life since this its been the worse few years ever but i met another partner who helped me through the terrible time we have a 5 month son and i have moved in with her and things are good
    Then out of nowere after going out for dinner today i recieve a letter to her home, addressed to me and my ex partner saying i owe for council tax im confused to how they have found me as i have no ties to the house a phone bill and doctors letters go there all other mail goes to my parents house to whom i stayed after my son passed away and is my care of address . See Cheshire council decided i was in no longer need of my 2 bedroom house now my son wasnt with me this council tax isnt for my old house i lived with my ill son but the previous with the ex the only thing im concerned is how they have found me but never in the house with my son and that there threatening to take my car thats on the drive i own 2 cars but they only listed one the debts for 300 and i am willing to pay but the house is in my partners name i have things there but i know they cant prove there mine as my partner can say they are hers its my cars im worried there going to try and take i have ben suffering with deppresion and have been sighned off and am given very strong anti deppressions and sleeping pills last thing i need is these harrasing me now please please any help would be great with these points

1 are they able to take the car there in my name but my partners insured on them and is now the main driver
    2 do you know how they found were i was because thats scary did they search the dvla
    3 why didnt they take the car there and then

thanks for reading any help would be great
    Tony
    Tags: None

Re: bristow & sutor

As the debt is for a previous property with someone else the Bailiff may only seize those goods which are solely yours. If they seize any of your present partners goods then you must make the Bailiff aware of this and provide proof of same. If no levy has been made on ANY of your goods so far you are perfectly entitled to dispose of them as you see fit, you have to remember the V5 for your car only shows the Registered keeper and not the legal owner. If there is doubt as to who owns what then your OH can swear a simple Statutory Declaration laying claim to everything in the house - this may be done at any Solicitor - cost £5/£10 and you may need 3 notarised copies.

You could well have been "found" via electoral roll etc. As you lived with a previous partner then you are both jointly & severally liable meaning they can chase you both for payment and one person can be made to pay the whole amount outstanding.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X