• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Most secure way to pay Equita

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most secure way to pay Equita

Hi all

First a little background....

My situation involves a bus lane infringement which took place during a period I was changing addresses, to cut a long story short I did not become aware of the issue until after it had been referred to the Traffic Enforcement Centre. I submitted a statutory declaration out of time and statutory declaration and appended my new V5 showing that it was issued 15 days after the Penalty Notice. This was rejected by the court and my debt is now with Equita.

I now just want to draw a line under this. I'm in the fortunate position that I can afford the charges. My question is (having read how unscrupulous this company can be) what is the best way to pay in terms of having an audit trail that the money did indeed go to them? Presumably a cheque does not give much proof and I don't really want to give my card details down the phone. Does their online payment system give you a receipt and clearly show up as a payment to them on a statement?

Any advice gratefully received.

Oh and their phone system was not working tonight so I'm not off to a good start.
    Tags: None

Re: Most secure way to pay Equita

Hi Bazakan and welcome to Legal Beagles.

Equita have a history of fee irregularities and are currently under investigation by Northampton Trading Standards as a result. Sending them a cheque might be better as if they are stupid enough to make alterations to it, you will then have verifiable evidence.

Equita's postal address is as follows -

Equita Limited
    42-44, Henry Street,
    Northampton
    NN1 4BZ

If you get any problems with them, make a complaint to your local Trading Standards Department and the Office of Fair Trading. Equita's Consumer Credit Licence Number is 483020. I'm attaching a copy of the OFT's latest Debt Collection Guidelines should you need to report Equita and should should quote and infringement from this. If it comes to this, come back onto this thread and we will guide you through the complaint to TS/OFT.

I would strongly advise you to send the cheque by Special Delivery. It may cost more, but it ensures Next Day Delivery and a signature.
    Attached Files
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

I would have thought that a cheque was not good proof of payment - but I guess if you scan it before it's sent then you have some recourse?

Do they issue receipts or notices that the debt is fully cleared?

Comment

The problem with credit/debit cards is that they can be abused by those you are paying. A cheque has a "paper trail" attached to it the moment the payee pays it into their bank and it is returned to your bank once funds have been transferred to the payee's bank account. Scanning it would be a good idea. However, to be doubly sure, send it by Special Delivery.

Equita has to provide you with a receipt or letter confirming you have settled the account. That is a legal requirement. You could enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope with the cheque and covering letter.

Cheque payments should be sent to:

Equita Limited
        PO Box 30
        Erith
        Kent
        DA8 1ZJ

The Bailiff Reference Number needs to be quoted on the covering letter and I would advise you to write it on the back of the cheque, too. That way, if they pay it into the wrong account, they are going to find it harder to argue that you didn't pay.

Comment

What I did once, and the post office were VERY helpful was send it recorded delivery, but I asked them to put it in the envelope for me and I videoed the whole process with close ups of the cheque going in, the envelope being sealed, the label being put on, close up of label etc...

It was the best way I could think of, and while somewhat eccentric possibly, it worked.

Thinking about it - it was a postal order, not a cheque as both PO and letter were trackable then.

Comment

Housebrick wrapped in a Scottish £1 note or N Ireland £5 note

Comment

what abot as building society cheque . which has a greater paper trail and is printed. Alternately ypu could go to a cheque printing company and pay tehmwith 1pence cheques . This will copst them on average 15p per cheque to process

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                Housebrick wrapped in a Scottish £1 note or N Ireland £5 note
                You could always lob it through their office window as you're passing. It would get there quicker. LOL!

Bakazan - Seduraed's suggestion of the building society/bank counter cheque would, in my considered judgement, be the best option. As they say, there is an even bigger paper trail than a personal cheque. Do that and follow the other advice I gave you, i.e. Special Delivery and write the bailiff reference on the covering letter and on the back of the cheque.

Comment

Thanks bluebottle,

Today I did exactly as you suggested, bank counter cheque, special delivery and bailiff reference on both cheque and letter.

It took some time to convince my bank that I wanted a bank cheque even though I have a personal cheque book, but mention of a bailiff seemed to do the trick.

Hopefully that will do the trick and the debt will be cleared.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakazan View Post
                    Thanks bluebottle,

Today I did exactly as you suggested, bank counter cheque, special delivery and bailiff reference on both cheque and letter.

It took some time to convince my bank that I wanted a bank cheque even though I have a personal cheque book, but mention of a bailiff seemed to do the trick.

Hopefully that will do the trick and the debt will be cleared.

Thanks again.
                    Obviously, your bank have had this with other customers. Credit where it's due.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X