• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

jacobs bailiffs!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacobs bailiffs!!!!

any advice please?

my wife and I have recently got back together after a long break, she recieved 2 days ago a hand delivered letter for outstanding council tax and was advised that she had to pay the full amount within 48hours. she has ignored the letter as she has not got the money to pay in full and has today received another hand delivered letter saying full payment is required by 5pm today or they will break in. she is too scared to ring them and the bailiff will not speak to me as it is in her name. they have not been in the house at all. all the letter says in big red letters is £1636.14 + fees!!! any advice gratefully accepted. x
    Tags: None

Re: jacobs bailiffs!!!!

Firstly do not let them into the house, and if she has a vehicle outside, move it a few street ago. Keep front door and windows shut and locked.

Right, do not phone the bailiffs - do not have anything at all to do with them.

Phone the council, preferably this afternoon. Ask what liability order(s) they have against her, the date of these and the amount of them. Make a note of this information.

Work out what she can reasonably afford to pay (and sustain) towards the debt.

Then post back up.

Do not worry - they cannot break in, and won't. Please trust me on that. There is no need to worry. It's a debt that needs repaying, but at a rate she can afford. We'll make sure she gets that.

If the bailiffs do anything, and you have to talk to them, get their name and the court in which they were certificated as well as the name of the company they work for. Do not let them in.

That's it for now - don't worry, honestly.

Comment

MANY THANKS for that labman, she is ringing the council now and will let you know as soon as!!!! thanks again for putting our minds at rest!!

Comment

Please remember there is no law that states you have to deal with or speak to a Bailiff. He acts totally on the threats he makes and is an expert liar, bully and intimdator. Providing he is denied access to your home or prevented from otherwise making a levy on goods outside - most notably a motor vehicle - he is basically powerless. You will have some lawful charges to pay and I would suggest pay direct to the Council - they will tell you they don't want to know but they cannot prevent you making payments by online banking, Council website or automated phone.

Whilst she lived on her own did she claim Single Person Discount? In this instance only the goods of the Debtor may be seized, there is nothing preventing her - providing no goods have been seized - giving away or selling her goods to a 3rd party.

Comment

She does of course need to work out what she can afford and sustain as mentioned in my previous post.

We seem agreed not to have anything to do with the bailiffs as PT has pretty much repeated what I said. lol

You'll be fine.

Comment

she has rang the council who told her she owed only £1304.00 and was told to ring the bailiff and ask if he would consider delaying recovery until she had contacted citizens advice to act on her behalf. She rang the bailiff who informed her he had already booked a van to attend at 5 o clock and it was too late in the day to do anything else then put the phone down!!!!(professional or what??) she rang the council back and explained what had been said and they kept her on the line whilst contacting the recovery team to suspend any bailiff action with immediate effect!! The council gave her all the information she needed for citizen advice drop in surgerys and now have seven days to sort out a payment plan with them!!
            Thanks again for all advice given, might get a decent nights sleep tonight!!! lol

Comment

Which firm of Certificated Scumbags are involved?
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by lew49 View Post
                she has rang the council who told her she owed only £1304.00 and was told to ring the bailiff and ask if he would consider delaying recovery until she had contacted citizens advice to act on her behalf. She rang the bailiff who informed her he had already booked a van to attend at 5 o clock and it was too late in the day to do anything else then put the phone down!!!!(professional or what??)
                He was telling lies, of course.

Because that ba:censored:rd bailiff has not only inflated the debt on the demand he pushed through the letterbox but has also made the threat in writing that he would break in (when he must know that he cannot do so lawfully) he would appear to have committed several criminal offences.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                  Which firm of Certificated Scumbags are involved?
                  Will this help you to read the thread title?

Comment

Well done for getting through to the council. To be honest they should have taken the debt back from the bailiff there and then.

Does the second notice put through your door definitely make the threat you stated? If so, I really think you ought to consider seriously taking legal action again this idiot.

Comment

hi bluebottle, it was jacobs bailiffs from birkenhead!

Comment

Hi labman, sorry to cause confusion, have just read the letter again and the exact wording is "REMOVAL PROCEEDINGS are now imminent, as previously advised, full payment is now required to prevent enforcement action. REMOVAL may take place even in your absence"

Comment

Originally posted by lew49 View Post
                          Hi labman, sorry to cause confusion, have just read the letter again and the exact wording is "REMOVAL PROCEEDINGS are now imminent, as previously advised, full payment is now required to prevent enforcement action. REMOVAL may take place even in your absence"
                          Bailiffs tell lies.

As the bugger has not previously entered peacefully and has not entered into a Walking Possession Agreement with the debtor, any attempt to remove goods and chattels would be a criminal offence.

Indeed, the above threat could itself be evidence of the offences of blackmail and/or fraudulent misrepresentation.

Comment

OK, from now on, as previously stated, have absolutely nothing to do with the bailiffs. Refuse to deal with them at all, including the negotiation of any repayment plan. The council want you to deal with the bailiffs as they will make money that way too. You do not have to have any dealings at all with the bailiffs.

Keep the front door locked and downstairs windows shut and park her vehicle a few streets away.

Meanwhile work out what can be afforded each week towards this debt. Try if possible on Monday to make the first payment either online or via the councils automated telephone system.

Once you have worked out what you can pay, post up again, and I will post up a letter for you to send.

The nature of these forums is that others may post up different advice, and ultimately it is up to you whose you follow, but I would suggest strongly that you work out the payment (affordable and sustainable in the long term - do not overstretch yourself) and then send the letter I will then post up for you to send to the council.

Above all, do not worry about it. I have dealt with hundreds of these cases and every single one so far has been taken back by the council.

Finally, the bailiffs may try to pester you into parting with money. Remember, don't let them in and have nothing to do with them. To date you legitimately owe them £42.50, as long as you follow this advice that is all you will owe them, and you may end up not having to pay that.

Comment

Hi labman,

Firstly, thank you so much once again for all your help and advice!!!!
                              Having spoke to my wife(and as you say, being realistic about it!!) we could make and sustain a weekly payment of £15.00(this being due to the fact that she only works 20 hours per week and I am currently unemployed(for the very short term I would love to think!!))I am not sure if this amount is too low and feel guilty even putting it to you in honesty!!!! PLEASE advise!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X