• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

pheonix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pheonix

hi all,new to the forum,i will keep this short.
    my council tax collecting bailiff decided to do a levy over the phone with me on my car which is still on hp,is this allowed?
    thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: pheonix

No, it is definitely not allowed. They can't levy over the phone and they can't levy a car on HP.

All in all, normal bailiff behaviour! lol

Comment

the evil sod stuck£120 quid on the bill too,lol.
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      is it worth complaining to the council,or call theivnix?
      Last edited by rifty; 16th March 2012, 14:40:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Just a thought - if it were me, I would secure evidence to prove that it wasn't a face-to-face meeting.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

RIFTY
          How does the baliff know the car is yours?

Comment

He doesn't, as its on HP so its not owned by Rifty but by the finance company who he has the hire purchase agreement with.

The bailiff is just thinking hes a clever ******* and that he can get away with it e.g. abusing his position. Such abuse may well cost him his license - Then he really will be a clever ******* lol.
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

thanks so much for your replies,i will start from the beginning.
              i got a letter through the door from a pheonix bailiff last month,with the heading...notification of intention to distrain...i rang the guys mobile when i got in from work,this was a monday.
              he told me to call him back on the wednesday as he was in court on the tuesday.
              so i did as he said and called his phone on the wed,he then said did i have a car as he needed to do a levy on it,as i had not settled the full amount within 24 hours of the letter he had posted.
              so i gave him my reg number and that was that,i asked him what the total bill was,and he said he would pop over on the friday to take payement as he was in the area,he told me the levy fee was £120,on top of some other charges.
              i paid by card,and that was that.
              ps,this was all about council tax arrears,shame i never recived any pre warning from the company he works for.
              regards,and thank you all again.

Comment

Newlyn tried to place a levy on a car outside my house. It wasn't my car. I don't own a car. I did point this out to them rather firmly on the phone and advised them that trying to seize random cars that might belong to my neighbours or othe people visiting my neighbours would be a Really Bad Idea.

Could I get their licence pulled for that alone? <fiendish grin>

Comment

First thing Monday morning, phone the council and ask how many Liability Orders they have against you, and the amount of each. The levy is not valid, nor is the £120 they have taken from you. You owed £24.50 for the first visit, that is it.

Charity is devious, but correct. Can you phone the bailiff about the levy and record the conversation? Ask if you're allowed to use it or something, but ensure you get the levy over the phone mentioned and agreed.

When I'm on my computer later, I'll post a letter for the council for you.

Meanwhile do not let any bailiff into your house. Keel the door locked and downstairs windows shut. Keep your car a few streets away. Do not talk to them other than the phone call, and do not give any information, or make any payments.

Will post again later.

Comment

many thanks labman,was going to ring the council but wondered if they would just fob me off with,,,,,its got nothing to do with us story,,,,,,but if they contract the bailliff company,then they hold some responsibility?.....will look forward to some ammo from you......
                    many thanks again

Comment

I cannot beleive how these baliffs are able tp conduct themselves in a way outside the rules and the councils condone their action.If a council employee acted so far out the rules they would face action and may lose their jobs, one must wonder if someone in the councils employee is on the take .I also would like to know why when told of the actions of their baliffs who they are responsible for they refuse to act has anyone on here heard of a baliff company losing their council contract for repeated offences im sure after reading hundreds of posts about baliff behaviour and it goes on a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by rifty View Post
                        many thanks labman,was going to ring the council but wondered if they would just fob me off with,,,,,its got nothing to do with us story,,,,,,but if they contract the bailliff company,then they hold some responsibility?.....will look forward to some ammo from you......
                        many thanks again
                        How have you got on with this? Are you aware that the Council are 100% liable for the actions of their contractor and can be held accountable. Have you had a breakdown of fees from the Bailiffs?

Comment

well here is the up date,the council didnt want to no about the account once it was passed over,yesterday i recieved a broken arrangement notice from pheonix for £120,which is strange as i had paid the full amount including fees to the bailiff,ive asked them for a break down of the fees the have applied,and they are posting that today,,,,,,,but the also said that the bailiff might visit in the mean time to collect,,,,ggrrrrrr,,,,if he turns up and starts shouting through the letter box about lock smiths and vans and police,,still keep the door shut right//,,many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rifty View Post
                            well here is the up date,the council didnt want to no about the account once it was passed over,yesterday i recieved a broken arrangement notice from pheonix for £120,which is strange as i had paid the full amount was this to the whole debt,including fees to the bailiff ,ive asked them for a break down of the fees the have applied,and they are posting that today,,,,,,,but the also said that the bailiff might visit in the mean time to collect,,,,ggrrrrrr,,,,if he turns up and starts shouting through the letter box about lock smiths and vans and police,,still keep the door shut right//,,many thanks
                            If the debt was satisfied in full including the authorised fees and no visit was made then there are no fees to pay on top of the debt.(remember they will claim that posting a letter through your door constitutes a visit) they can go go hang for any other fees the merely think they are entitled to. I would love to be a fly on the wall when the Court hears about their invalid levy and attempts to charge for it?

Fees: 1st Visit £24.50 2nd Visit £18 total £42.50

Pepsie

Comment

well i just got the break down of fees through the post.
                              here is my version,,,13th feb,hand posted letter,notification of inttention to distrain.
                              phoned bailiff the same day,told me to phone him on the wed.
                              did that.
                              said he had to levy on my car(still on finance) as i had not paid the full amount within 24hrs.
                              job done
                              .there breakdown,15th feb,,levy fee £34.00
                              attendance/van,£110.00.......what attendance,what van?????????.

so there we go,nothing about 1st visit of £24.50 or a second visit£18.00.
                              confussed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X