• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marstons group bailiffs & TV licence fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marstons group bailiffs & TV licence fine

I got a letter from Marstons group saying that they intend on removing my belongings unless I paid £485. This is for a TV licence fine from last year what I had thought had been paid off, ie I was told by either the court or the jobcentre that money was being deducted from my jobseekers because of the fine so naturally I thought i was paying it or that it had been paid off. I even recall not recieving my full amount of jobseekers allowance for awhile due to this fine. So when this letter came through the door I was gobsmacked. I immediately rang marstons up, they said contact the court for explanation on why it had been passed over to bailiffs. So I did and the court basically said it had been passed over so what was done was done and they couldnt take it back of Marstons group. I asked Marstons for a payment arrangement to pay in installments of X amount per week/fortnight and they refused.

A week or two later they came around on a Saturday afternoon and we and my parnter and kids were in the back garden. The man told my partner he had a warrant (I think it was) and he could remove goods if he really wanted. He told my partner he seemed like a 'decent guy' and for this he would give him 2 weeks longer to pay up in full. He also went as far to say if my parnter had of 'squared' up to him he would have removed stuff there and then.
    My partner said he wouldn't have the money as we barely have money to live off as it is and could we do it in installements. The bailiff refused and said you have 2 weeks to pay up or we can get locksmiths in.

Now the bailiff has never had access into my house. He has only been as far AS the front yard.

so my questions are

1) can he break his way into my house using forced entry and is this legal? Is using a locksmith peaceful or forced entry?

2) I have these things (not sure of what they are called) they are like 2 black plastic wedges that stop the door from being opened even when it is unlocked. They are on the inside of my door so if was to use these and the bailiff used a locksmith he would be unable to get in. So would he alternatively attempt to kick the door in?

3) If the bailiff did come in and see i had nothing worth taking what would happen then.?
    Tags: None

Re: Marstons group bailiffs & TV licence fine

Have a read of this. Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum, paying particular attention the the section on Magistrates fines.
    Is no longer here

Comment

[quote=kimc;224735]

so my questions are

1) can he break his way into my house using forced entry and is this legal? Is using a locksmith peaceful or forced entry? Yes, but it would be very much as a last resort.

2) I have these things (not sure of what they are called) they are like 2 black plastic wedges that stop the door from being opened even when it is unlocked. They are on the inside of my door so if was to use these and the bailiff used a locksmith he would be unable to get in. So would he alternatively attempt to kick the door in? As above

3) If the bailiff did come in and see i had nothing worth taking what would happen then.? I am not certain, but I would imagine if there is nothing worth taking it would be returned to the court for further enforcement / collection measures. The court would presumably be told of your situation.

Comment

If you are really unable to afford this fine then you must write to the Court Manager immediately and include an income and expenditure sheet. You should ask that you be given affordable repayments.

It also might be an idea to find out whether this has been paid or not from your benefits because it's not beyond a bailiff to lie about this.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X