• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Endless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endless

Just had a visit from Marstons bailiffs today who attempted to seize goods for a speeding ticket my ex-partner allegedly got in November 2010. I explained to the kind gentleman that my ex partner had fled to Malta to escape a term in prison after he was arrested for the third count of assault on me back in Sept.

Unfortunately, never having been in this situation before, I let him in the house so he could verify that my ex was no longer living at the address but because I had 4 toothbrushes when there was just me & my 2 kids living there and he'd found a mug with "dad" on it, that gave him reasonable doubt as to what I was telling him even though there were no male clothes in the wardrobe, no aftershave or other evidence as to there being a man living at the address. With this evidence he called his manager to arrange for a removal van to visit and the fee went up another £150 to £700.

This all took place just before the school run and I had to leave him in the house whilst I went to pick the kids up. On returning it was evident he'd been through all my paperwork that was in the kitchen. When confronted he said he had every right but having already informed his manager that there was evidence my ex was still with me what further proof did he require? There were bank statements, credit card pin numbers and all sorts of other confidential financial documents in the pile of papers he'd been through.

My sister drafted in the police, but even with their knowledge of my ex's history there was nothing the officer could do. In the end he left with £550 which I had to borrow from my mother or he'd seize goods to the value of £700 which included the laptop I use to run my own business.

I now feel so vulnerable and wondering if this nightmare will ever end. What about the unpaid credit cards in his name, the unauthorised overdraft that he's never paid off? Will I end up liable for those as well?

It doesn't make sense that, as a victim of domestic violence I am now still paying for my ex-partners indiscretions whilst he's got away scott free and living it up in Malta.

What right do bailiffs have to seize goods that don't belong to the offender? Can anyone help me with that one as I'm struggling to understand
    Tags: None

Re: Endless

Gosh, that's horrendous and I do feel for you x

I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise you. In the meantime you'll find great support here.

Comment

Ill go seek the wonderful Amy she is the bailiff expert on this forum.

Hold tight Loopylin.
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      Ok message sent to Amy she will pick that up soon as so keep checking back as she will give you solid advice to sort this out.

Regards
      Last edited by pompeyfaith; 29th March 2011, 20:54:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

This is inexcusable. There is no doubt that this bailiff will be fully aware that he is precluded from intimidating a debtor let alone someone he knows is absolutely not the debtor.

Do you have the name of the bailiff? If you do, you should file a Form 4 complaint immediately. You can find a link to what you need here Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Comment

http://www.acea.org.uk/editorimages/...ce%20Guide.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X