• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help Please. Car taken Friday Morning.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please. Car taken Friday Morning.

Hi Everyone.

I'm very new to this so let me apologise if I get any of this wrong! I checked my mail this morning after walking the dogs, (I live in an apartment block.) and found a hand delivered envelope from 'Whyte & Co' Certificated Bailiffs. In it are 3 sheets of paper. 1 is a Warrant of Execution for an unpaid penalty charge that I knew nothing about until this letter. (£155.00) There's an 'Enforcement of Road Traffic Debts' paper which takes the £155.00 and turns it into £296.00. Then there's a 'Notice of Removal of Expenses' letter whereupon they've charged me a further £681.00 to remove my car! That's £971.00 for a £155.00 parking ticket!

I'm sorry to say that due to various circumstances (bad news health wise, loss of job and some other stuff I don't need to go on about in a public forum.) I hadn't checked my mail (the letterbox was full to the brim) for a long time. I got the lock replaced about a month ago. The car has been parked in the garage as it needs 2 new tyres and I couldn't afford them. I've not used it since November.

The Bailiff says he was at my place from 0700hrs until 1130hrs on Friday morning but I didn't leave for work until 0930hrs and I walked my dogs without seeing anybody near or around. Nobody rang the buzzer or knocked on the door.

Am I stuck with this or is there anything at all I can do? I know I have a part to play in not having a letterbox for quite some time but to be honest it was the last thing on my mind. I'm out of that hole now and ready to face everything I need to. 'Just for today' you could say.

Thanks very much for any help in this matter.
    Tags: None

Re: Help Please. Car taken Friday Morning.

Did you know anything about the original penalty charge though?

Is this a council fine?

Is there any finance on the vehicle they took?

Comment

Thanks for your reply, up until I checked my mail this morning no I didn't know anything about it. I of course ran to see if my car was still in the car park and of course it's not.

Unfortunately, I hadn't emptied my letterbox for quite a few years. I'm dealing with the repercussions at the minute but most everything was on direct debit. I know it's a bit of 'ostrich syndrome' and burying my head in the sand didn't get me anywhere but it's where I was. In any case, I now open my mail and answer my phone lol.

It's from a penalty charge notice from Newham council and no the car isn't on finance.

Comment

Oh. I forgot to add, my car sits for long periods of time without being used and I don't go near it. I can usually see it when it's parked on the road near my flat from my window but the tyres needed replacing and the tax ran out so I parked it in the underground car park in November. I've never see a ticket on it. If it's a valid ticket then of course I'll pay. I am responsible for my own actions. (These days anyway!)

Comment

Was there anything in your post (that you have now opened) to suggest what this ticket relates to? Was there anything at all from the bailiffs in your post?

Comment

On the 'Warrant of Execution' it lists my car (with the wrong colour) the Applicant is London Borough of Newham. The Location of Contravention states:
            On-street Parking - 62 - Parked with One Or More Wheels On Or Over A Footpath Or Any Part Of A Road Other Than A Carriageway. The road is the back road where my apartment block is. There's a pavement and a very very tired hardly visible single yellow line here. This is where I used to park it (along with everyone one else) and I've never had a ticket. (Well, apparently I have now!)

Should I scan the papers tomorrow?

Thank you for your replies so far.

Comment

If you can scan a copy of the actual Warrant, that would be useful.
              Last edited by Amy; 27th March 2011, 22:42:PM.

Comment

OK, I will do it tomorrow. I've got to take the dog to the vets first thing sorry. (I don't know, no money to spend on myself but I'd pawn everything for my dogs!) Have a great evening.

Comment

Have a read of the bailiff guide too and consider sending the Subject Access Request to the bailiffs Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X