• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

Can anybody advice me what i can do. Ive been paying my council tax April and May, But defaulted in June I recieved a red letter a couple of weeks later. But did'nt take much notice of it to my regret. Because i was paying double in July which i did then i paid August and Septembers. Then i got a baliff leters I rung them up but said i have to pay up in full £ 400, 49 I told them i did'nt have that sort of money and can i pay instalments and i was up to date with my council tax . She told me to ring her back at 3.30 pm and she sort somthing out which i did but got no reply so i left a message , she rang me back but said she was to busy ring back tomorrow i rang back 3 times and got no reply i left messages again but nothing. On a Monday they came to the door i did'nt ansewer but left a form through my letterbox saying now i owe them £600.90. I can't understand it why i can't pay by instalments when im up to date with my council tax anyway
    Tags: None

Re: help

Originally posted by vicky View Post
    Can anybody advice me what i can do. Ive been paying my council tax April and May, But defaulted in June I recieved a red letter a couple of weeks later. But did'nt take much notice of it to my regret. Because i was paying double in July which i did then i paid August and Septembers. Then i got a baliff leters I rung them up but said i have to pay up in full £ 400, 49 I told them i did'nt have that sort of money and can i pay instalments and i was up to date with my council tax . She told me to ring her back at 3.30 pm and she sort somthing out which i did but got no reply so i left a message , she rang me back but said she was to busy ring back tomorrow i rang back 3 times and got no reply i left messages again but nothing. On a Monday they came to the door i did'nt ansewer but left a form through my letterbox saying now i owe them £600.90. I can't understand it why i can't pay by instalments when im up to date with my council tax anyway

Hi Vicky and welcome

I'm sure you will receive the right advice on this, but it may be a good idea to contact your local CAB tomorrow if your able to, or if they are open tomorrow in your area ask for an urgent appointment, they will act on your behalf - and try to get this sorted out for you.
    They should contact them for you.
    Tell the CAB that your trying your best to sort this out but not getting anywhere, maybe they will make sure they get to speak to someone.

Wish you luck with this.

Keep a watch for other posts on here too.

Di
    X
    Last edited by di30; 18th October 2010, 22:32:PM.

Comment

Ignore the bailiff letters and continue to pay your council tax direct.

You are up to date with your payments. Therefore, this cannot be passed to bailiffs as bailiffs can only collect a debt and you do not have one.

Comment

Vicky good advice from Amy.

However, if you feel better contact them again (not the council), the CAB to contact them to let them know what is going on here, just to get them off your back.

But its right what Amy have said. x
        Last edited by di30; 18th October 2010, 22:55:PM.

Comment

Really sorry to disagree with you Di, but I really would NOT contact them again. What Amy says is absolutely correct. The bailiffs will lie, cheat and use any underhand method they can think of to get you to pay them some money, but you do not owe any!

If you phone I fear you will feel worse and more confused for doing so as they harrass people illegally every day like this. Just keep telling yourself, "I'm up to date with my council tax, I owe nothing."

If you have to contact anyone, write to the council asking them to call off the bailiffs as you owe no money. Remind them they are (please correct me someone if this is the wrong terminology) "jointly and severally liable for the bailiffs actions."

Don't worry - it'll turn out fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
            Really sorry to disagree with you Di, but I really would NOT contact them again. What Amy says is absolutely correct. The bailiffs will lie, cheat and use any underhand method they can think of to get you to pay them some money, but you do not owe any!

If you phone I fear you will feel worse and more confused for doing so as they harrass people illegally every day like this. Just keep telling yourself, "I'm up to date with my council tax, I owe nothing."

If you have to contact anyone, write to the council asking them to call off the bailiffs as you owe no money. Remind them they are (please correct me someone if this is the wrong terminology) "jointly and severally liable for the bailiffs actions."

Don't worry - it'll turn out fine!

That's fine Caspar.

I understand, I remember something similar with my sister a few years back and the CAB acted on it immediately and my sister heard no more, but still that was years ago lol.

Di
            x

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
              Remind them they are (please correct me someone if this is the wrong terminology) "jointly and severally liable for the bailiffs actions."
              Vicariously liable (but I knew what you meant).

Jointly and severally liable is someone other than who is named, in this case on a liability order, but who is also liable for the payments.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                Vicariously liable (but I knew what you meant).

Jointly and severally liable is someone other than who is named, in this case on a liability order, but who is also liable for the payments.
                I'm learning - will I ever get my head round the jargon? lol I knew what I meant too, just had a feeling it wasn't the right words.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X