• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Really need advice please, Rossendales!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really need advice please, Rossendales!

Hi.

I posted over the weekend after receiving a letter from Rossendale in regard to council tax i owed from 2001/02. I thought it may have been a mistake but having spoken to my local council this morning they informed of the address it was for and the period of time the council tax was for, Jun 01- Mar 02. When my cousin and i thought it would be a great idea to rent a flat together! However i moved out of the property in Aug 01, I informed the advisor on the phone of this and he said they did indeed have a record that my cousin had called to tell them i had moved out although as this wasnt followed up in writing that is why i was being chased, Apparently they have been looking for me since 2002 and it had also been to court without my knowledge.

The outcome of this phone call was that i needed to write to my local council with the dates i live in the flat and they would amend the amount i owed accordingly! Great! BUT they also told me they would not be able to take the debt back from Rossendales and that i should call them to arrange a payment plan and if when the amount owed changed and i had over paid then i would recieve a refund. So i called Rossendales and explained the situation, they were not at all understanding, Not that im suprised! They told me i must pay in full within 14 days or distress would be levied upon my possessions, I explained that i was happy to pay the amount i owed but as i didnt know how much this was going to be could i maybe set up a payment arrangment, NO was the answer, they do not set up payment plans until after a baliff has visited my address and made a list of my possessions. I told them i would not be letting anyone into my home under any circumstances. I was then told it didnt matter because they would charge me for their visit anyway.

Im actually shocked that they would rather send someone to my home for me to not let them in and charge me for it rather than except a payment plan from me. As i said im happy to pay the amount i owe. I dont get it at all!

I think im more stressed out as i work from home as childinder plus i have my own children and the last thing i want is someone coming to my home banging on my door.

If anyone could advise me on this situation i would be more than gratful. I have drafted a letter to send to the council but other than this im not sure i can do anymore.

Sorry its so long, Thanks for reading.

Re: Really need advice please, Rossendales!

Hi Claire

here is a link to our Bailiff guide http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=14113

You may find an answer to your query here if not someone with more experience will be along to help you.

Tuttsi

Comment

Re: Really need advice please, Rossendales!

Claire, did you read this Council tax- Rossendales, Advice please. - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum particularly the part where I said they will lie?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X