• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

newlyns on their way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newlyns on their way

Hi, I have lots of experience dealing with Newlyns, I am today hiding my car until I get it put in my fathers name and address, but I am worried they can still clamp my sons car who lives at home, are they allowed to do this???

Re: newlyns on their way

What sort of car is it? I keep an old 4ltr Jeep on my driveway for the bailiffs, but they refuse to take it.

Comment

Hi, it is a quite nice ford fiesta on a 53 plate. I didn't think they could take things that don't belong to me???

Comment

What is the debt for?

Comment

its for council tax (two years), I am hiding my car tonight, but we need my sons here so that we have one car to use.

Comment

Did you read the bailiff guide in the link I gave in your other post?

Comment

yes, but it says other people that may be eligible to pay towards the council tax can have their car clamped, but not sure if he is? I am assuming that only my husband and myself are eligible as it is our names on the tenancy agreement

Comment

That is what I wrote on your other thread, but did you click the actual link and read the bailiff guide?

You are correct though, if your son is not named on the tenancy agreement then it is unlikely that he is named on the council tax bill. It is is easy to check who is named though.

Comment

I could not see a link, i am new to this site and am slowly getting used to it, but I did read the balliff guide earlier today. The council tax bill is only in my name I think, my husband is not on it, all correspondence is addressed to me. My husband and son want to pay £155 per week that they want, but as I explained to them we cannot affford it and should hang on until they go away and send it back to the council, I think we would be in more trouble if we make an agreement and default on it?

Comment

Yes, this is correct. Bailiffs deliberately set high repayments in the full knowledge that you will not be able to make them, then they can charge you more and threaten entry to your home and levy goods.

£155 per week is a lot of money. How much in council tax do you actually owe?

Check your council tax bill and see whose name appears. If it is just yours then you're ok to transfer the car into your husband's name.

Comment

ok, thanks, unfortunately I cannot find a bill, but I know it is always addressed to me, is there anyway I would be able to get this information tonight? as I have a feeling they will be here tonight, they were at my neighbours two days ago. My son is on the electoral role, would that make any difference? by way thanks for all your advice so far, you are slowly putting my mind at ease, well slightly

Comment

No, you'll need your paperwork to find out, but I'm sure if the correspondence comes addressed to you only - then it will be in your name. Check with the council tomorrow to be certain.

What were they doing at your neighbour's two days ago?

Trust me, keep them out of your house and there is nothing they can do xx

Comment

They were at my neighbours about council tax, told her they would be back yesterday, but they didn't, hence the reason we know a visit from them is eminent , but we have just realised our sons car is in my husbands name, so we have decided to agree tonight to call them and make an arrangement and pay for this week to give us a bit more time to check out whos name's are on the bill and to get our cars put into other peoples name's , then I will break the agreement and we should be covered to deal with them, I think this is the best option?

Comment

Erm no, I don't.

You shouldn't ever speak to the bailiff and you shouldn't ever agree to a payment arrangement with them. If you just ignore them, they will be forced to send the debt back to the council. For the minute, just move the car and park it elsewhere.

Pay the council direct tomorrow online.

Comment

I know, and was all ready to deal with them, but men are not as mentally strong and they have caved in under pressure, so I have agreed to pay the £155 for this week, while I make sure my son isn't on the bill and get the cars in different names, then I am going to email Newlyns and tell them I am going to make future payments to the council and I do not want any further correspondence with them, then email the council and tell them the same. I will let you know how I get on with both the council and Newlyns, as there is no way we can afford £155 per week, thanks so much for all your advice today, you really know what you are talking about, Sarah

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X