• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rossendales : Help Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossendales : Help Please

Hi I'm Mandy...new to this forum but glad i found it.

Its a long story so please bare with me.

My husband and I have been together since the summer of 1999 when we lived together in Liverpool, he left his ex wife and moved in with me. In the summer of 2001 we moved to north Wales.

From nowhere in September 2009 we recieved a letter from the above bailiffs looking for payment of council tax arrears from husband's old house for the year 2000-2001 (my husband didn't live there at that time). I phoned the bailiffs office explaining this. They asked me to post proof of where my husband lived both to them and to Liverpool city council which we did. We heard no more from them.

On the 9th of august my husband opened a door to a bailiff from Rossendales who aid he was here to collect the council tax debt. My husband asked him in but I stood across the door and said no you aren't coming in..he said well your husband has asked me in so I'm coming in I need to sort this out..

He then prowled around my living room terrifying my kids listing things to take, and my husband signed the walking possesion agreement thingy. I told the bailiff he couldn't take these things as they were MINE and not my husbands. I also explained to him that we had been billed in error, my husband wasn't living at the address at the time.

He left the same letter with me that all your other members seem to have had, Bailliff removal/payment due in full in 24 hours etc etc.. with a mobile number at the bottom and told me he would give me 7 days to try an sort it out with Liverpool City Council, if he hadn't heard from me by yesterday (August 16th) he would be back with a van to take my goods.

I rang Liverpool Council and spoke with them. I asked them to take the debt back. They wont as they say my husband told them he wasn't the one who should have been billed, and after recieving his evidence they are reviewing the case.. they suggest I pay the bailiff in the meantime and that they will refund us should it turn out that my husband wasn't liable for the bill (which he wasn't).

I phoned the bailiff straight back and told him all this..he insisted he would be back yesterday to collect either my goods or the £307. H ehas charged me..original debt £103, first visit fee £24.50, second visit fee £18.00. levy fee £27.00 and walking possesion fee £134.50. Totals £307..thats an over £200 increase on an alleged debt of £103 which e don't owe at all because my husband wasn't living at the address at the time!

However I know it will take more than a week to sort, I don't have receipts for my property, and so we have borrowed the £307 from a door to door loan company, sat in all day waiting for his return, and no bailiff!!! I'm a nervous wreck, I'm scared for us all to go out as a family in case he breaks in and takes my things while we are all out..I have the cash here...any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am really scared.

Re: Rossendales : Help Please

My advice is, don't pay it to him.

Telephone your council immediately and demand, don't ask, that they speak with this bailiff and explain the situation. They must tell the bailiff that this is not your husband's debt and that he must never visit you again. This is their mistake not yours and they need to sort it out.

They are responsible for these bailiffs as they employ them and they seriously expect you to shell out over £300 for something you don't owe! Tell them you will report them to the Local Government Ombudsman for encouraging him to defraud people. How many times has he visited you?

Call them now.
    Last edited by Amy; 17th August 2010, 16:23:PM.

Comment

Also send them the letter from post #2 here Trying it on or for real - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

You cannot be obliged to pay bills you do not owe, in particular to bailiffs who bully and threaten their way into your home.

Comment

Thank you both...I will do just that and thank you for your prompt replies. I will let you know how it goes. By the way this forum is fantastic a lot of excellent advice I have been reading through. Many thanks.

Comment

Things have taken a turn for the worse since I posted the other day..husband has paid the Bailiff..have I any chance now of recovering the money? Any advice appreciated thank you.

Comment

This is why they win, because people give in.

Comment

If your husband did not owe the money, why did he pay it?

Your first post states that Liverpool Council have informed you that you should pay the bailiff and once they conclude their investigation and confirm that the money is not owed, they will refund it.

Therefore, to answer your third post, yes you may recover it from Liverpool Council.

Comment

Hi..Cetelco...he paid the money out of fear..the bailiff had been into the house and listed things, frightened the life out of my children, and had returned with a van to remove our things in front of the children...my husband panicked. Liverpool council won't refund it yet until they have recieved their payment from the bailiff......so the scenario goes on and I am at my wits end. Any further advice would be appreciated.

Comment

That is not what your first post states.

Who at Liverpool Council told you that you would receive a refund and why have they not done as they said?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X