• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ and bailiff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ and bailiff

Hi there,

Been reading threads on here regarding dealing with bailiffs - just wanted some clarification on my own circumstances. I live with my dad, and owe £118 on a CCJ (original amount £668, £550 paid to the court so far).

A bailiff called this evening and shoved a walking possession through the door claiming he'd made levy on my dad's car. We didn't let him in, and the car isn't in my name, I don't even drive or hold a license (never have). What can the bailiff do?
    I'm thinking of copying the V5 and sending it to the court to prove that they can't take the car cause it's not mine, my dad is the registered keeper.

Thanks in advance,

mpddkmm4

Re: CCJ and bailiff

Originally posted by mpddkmm4 View Post
    I'm thinking of copying the V5 and sending it to the court to prove that they can't take the car cause it's not mine, my dad is the registered keeper.
    This is exactly the right thing to do - the onus is on the debtor to prove that levied goods belong to somebody else as opposed to on the bailiff to prove that they are owned by the debtor.

Comment

Brill, thanks Amy, I'll copy it now and drop it at the court first thing tomorrow!
      Am I right in thinking they can't take it anyway cause they haven't gained peaceful entry?

Comment

This is a grey area because technically a bailiff cannot seize goods unless and until they have gained peaceful entry to the property, unfortunately though vehicles tend not to be kept inside the house and because to seize a car creates the maximum amount of upset and inconvenience, it more often than not results in a payment to the bailiff.

Comment

Wicked. Copied the V5 and if he turns up again, I'll just show it to him along with sending a copy to the court. I've told him I can pay in another 2 weeks but he hasn't listened.
          Thanks for the advice :-)

Comment

You're very welcome x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X