• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax paid. Bailiff charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax paid. Bailiff charges

Last year my husband and I had some financial difficulties resulting in us getting into arrears with our council tax. This was then passed onto Jacobs Debt Agency. Once we had sorted ourselves out we contacted the council directly and advised we were paying our debt in full directly to them, they advised this was ok and updated this with Jacobs. I am now still being harrassed for fees. Last week when my friend was visiting they must have parked outside (unaware by me) and had written down her car registration and after she left posted it to me styating they would take this car for payment of their fees, now at £150- they had added £5o that day)- well her car wont be their again so good luck getting it, but can they just do that, the car doesnt belong to me and have taken a third parties car details..... i do not own a car or dont drive, dont they have to check this on DVLA or something to confirm i am the owner.... Then a couple of days later they posted a letter stating if i did not contact them in 4 hours they would get a locksmith and come into my home to take goods.... my question is Can they do this just for fees.. Which i believe charging £50 for one visit is too much.......Can they break into my home? saying that its not my home. I rent privately, so surely they cant get a locksmith to gain access...I know alot of this may be scare tactics to get me to pay, but i have settled my debt with the council and they are continuing to add extortionate fees for collecting fees when they are no longer collecting for their client. What rights do they have? What rights do I hav. any help appreciated

Re: Council Tax paid. Bailiff charges

Did they do any work in the recovery of the council tax?

Have a read of the guide for more information, this should make things clearer Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Post back with any more questions.

Comment

No they never collected any of the debt at all,we just contacted the council directly and paid them in full ..by any work at all do you mean..letters etc.. . Thanks for the link.. im new to the website an not sure were anything is

Comment

Yes, I mean did they ever visit you?

For the recovery of council tax they are not permitted to charge for sending you any letters, but as per the guide they can charge for a maximum of 2 visits - but only if they have actually made those visits.

Comment

This needs checking, but I'm pretty sure I have read that bailiffs can not levy for their fees alone.

Comment

yes they did make some visits...on each occassion i was out.. this was before I had paid the council directly... charging me each time they came.. Then after paying the council.. I had 3 letters after that stating of further charges... each time a visit directly to the house, as took my friends car details, then i saw him posting a letter through then basically run back to his car and drive off...Then again giving me the 4 hours to pay up or else letter, he posted then drove off.

Comment

Did they leave any paperwork when they say they visited?

If they did, I would write a letter to them and advise that you agree to pay for the two visits made to your property; visit #1 = £24.50; visit #2 £18.00 = £42.50

Comment

i will do that, I'm not one to not pay what I have to pay, but i dont want to be conned into paying more when I rightfully dont have to, Is there a link that states the legal jargon stating i have to pay for no more then 2 visits. Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X