• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with Rossendales bailiff charges for parking fine please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Rossendales bailiff charges for parking fine please

I would be grateful if anyone can help me to understand whether the charges that have been made against me on an outstanding parking fine are reasonable.

I forgot to pay a parking fine from June 2009 (£70 fine) and have recently been contacted in writing by rossendales debt collectors. One issue is that my car had been registered at an old address, so I have not been receiving any correspondence/reminders and had completely forgotten about it. I first received a letter one week ago stating that I owed an outstanding liability order of £163.04. Owing to the fact that I had forgotten to pay my fine, and forgotten to change my address, I was fully willing to pay the outstanding debt and settle things. However, 2 days later a bailiff removal magistrates liability order was posted through my door.

I then rang the number on the form to try and settle things and the bailiff told me the charges had now gone up and I owed something in the order of £550. I explained that the letter I received 2 days previously was the first I had heard from them and that I was fully willing to pay that amount. He said because of the circumstances of me being at another address, he could reduce the fee to £440. I argued that it was still a steep increase over the course of 2 days, and that I wanted in writing what I had been charged for.

I received a 'Notice of distress' with the following charges:

Client debt and costs outstanding £123.16
    First visit fee £39.88
    Second visit fee £51.04
    levy fee £65.33
    Other £162.15

Total £441.56

These charge seem a touch excessive, and I am not sure what the 'other' charges mean, it is written just below 'walking possession act', so I am not sure if it supposed to represent that.

At one point in our telephone conversation, the bailiff asked me if I was still in possession of the car that I received the fine on. He explained it was so he could take it off register that would mean my car would be pulled over if. I now suspect it was a sly way he could levy against it, because even if he visited my house, my car has been elsewhere recently.

Just to note, when bailiff removal order was posted through my door, I was in the house at the time and they did not knock on the door. It states they attended 'with the intention of removing goods'. If this really was the case, I suspect they would have at least knocked.

I would be very grateful if anyone can help me with this

Re: Help with bailiff charges for parking fine please

Is this definitely for a parking because you mention Liability Orders a few times and Liability Orders concern council tax?

The fees are a work of fiction, as usual.

You should think about sending the Subject Access Request Bailiff - SAR - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Also, you need to stop telephoning the bailiff, from now on - write only and keep records of everything.

Comment

Thank you for your response. It's definitely about parking, the bailiff has ticked 'road traffic debt' on the bailiff removal form, and I am certain I have always been up to date with council tax.

I have learned from reading other posts on this forum that phoning the bailiff is a bad idea and will no longer do this.

I will send a SAR. Would you advise paying now to avoid any further charges/the bailiffs seizing my car, or hold off until I get a response from the bailiff company? I am obviously perfectly happy to pay whatever I rightfully owe straight away, and want to avoid any further charges.

Also, am I in a weaker position because I have had my car registered at my previous address? And is the levy fee on my car legal, and an appropriate amount?

Thanks again
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      Just noticed the letter is headed:

Magistrates Liability Order / Distress Warrant

Is a distress warrant more appropriate for parking fines? I suspect this is a universal form that they use
      Last edited by a3033305; 15th May 2010, 14:30:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If it were me I would want clarification of the fees by way of a breakdown of provided and you are perfectly entitled to request this and they have no choice but to supply you with your information.

Odd how he has already reduced your fees by £100 don't you think?

Comment

I don't quite understand why he reduced the fees! Perhaps a method he uses to make you feel he is doing you a deal.

Sorry, just to clarify, if I send a letter today to the company, should I not be charged any further fees for not paying? I was considering approaching the council directly to clear the charges I owe them.

Comment

The fees should be as below:-

£11.20 for a letter, but the letter should be sent before any visits are made.

For levying distress:

Where the sum demanded and due does not exceed £100 - the fee is £28
            Where the sum demanded exceeds £100 - 28% on the first £200 and 5.5% on anything over £200

For attending to levy distress, but where the levy is not made - reasonable costs

Bailiffs lie, it comes naturally to them, but you shouldn't let this put you off and you should only pay what you owe.
            Last edited by Amy; 15th May 2010, 15:03:PM.

Comment

Beagle Puppy,

I find myself in an exactly similar positions like yours. Any advice on how you managed the bailiffs and what worked for you will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lehche2000

Comment

hi

wonder if you can help? woke up on fri morning with letter on car telling us not to move it and a letter attached requesting 419 pounds for a parking fine from march. have not recieved any letters as car has only just been registered at new address. letters been going to old one. have applied for a statusory declaration today however the bailif comes back round tomorrow? what should i do? the car was not clamped?? please help!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X