• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

equita backing out of agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• equita backing out of agreement

hi, i have had a council tax debt pasted to equita, last week i called up and said all i can pay is £10 per week they took a payment of me over phone and the extra £1 charge for paying over phone and also sent me out payment books, so to me this means they have agreed and accepted my amount of £10 per week, this week i phoned up to pay and the women got all funny saying its not enough and they want £300 per month, i told them i have allready paid £10 and the fact they have accepted that payment by card over the phone and have sent me payment boooks means they are happy with that, they gave me a mobile number to ring then a few days after i got a letter saying they will be out to collect goods, my plan is to photo copy the books they gave me so i never run out of payment slips so can pay at bank or post office and just keep paying £10 per week every week so its all recorded, do you think i will be ok doing this, i also got funny with the women on the phone as she was foul, i told her they accepted the arrangememnt of £10 they said they didnt i said i recorded the phone call she hung up, i dont want to speak to them as i lose it with these people as they havent the time for anyone, but i plan to just keep paying that £10 per week

Re: equita backing out of agreemant

Originally posted by pete1980 View Post
    hi, i have had a council tax debt pasted to equita, last week i called up and said all i can pay is £10 per week they took a payment of me over phone and the extra £1 charge for paying over phone .........
    What kind of card did you use to make the payment?

Have a read of this, see post #21
    Equita bailiffs Urgent help required!! please - Legal Beagles

Comment

Re: equita backing out of agreement

i paid using a visa debit card, i am going to send them a email stating i have received their payment books after making a first intitial payment by card over the phone and that i will now continue to do as we agreed and pay this amount weekly by use of the payment books they kindly sent me, and that as long as i continue to make payments any letters or phone calls i receivce from them i will keep and seek advice for harrassment as i can prove my weekly payments and il keep the dated letters they send me, do you think that will shut them up and keep them away

Comment

Originally posted by pete1980 View Post
        i paid using a visa debit card, i am going to send them a email stating i have received their payment books after making a first intitial payment by card over the phone and that i will now continue to do as we agreed and pay this amount weekly by use of the payment books they kindly sent me, and that as long as i continue to make payments any letters or phone calls i receivce from them i will keep and seek advice for harrassment as i can prove my weekly payments and il keep the dated letters they send me, do you think that will shut them up and keep them away

Probably not, most of us have learned never to deal with these people over the phone, they are well up on making you promise payments you can not afford and also telling you things you want to hear and then denying saying so.
        Wait and see what reply you get to your email if any.

Comment

Please read post #2 above and read the link that has been posted there for you, paying particular attention to post number #21 on that thread, it could save you a great deal of trouble.

Comment

Pete, did you read and understand the link I gave you?

Comment

hi thanks for replies, i have photo copied the paymnet books they gave me so i never run out and i have printed the first paymnet i made to them of my bank statement and plan to keep all of this in a folder so can account for each and every week, what sort of email should i send, as i want them to be clear that i am paying the weekly amount they have accepted for me to pay and that i want a list of any charges for letters they have put on top of my account, when i did pay by card i received a letter form them 4 days later saying about the arrears and someone will come out, they have no means of getting into my home even the back gate is chubb locked and they would have a shock if they got as far as the back door anyway as they would be tresspassing wouldnt they if the back gate was locked, also on their paymnet books is there any way of using the info to set up a standing order or does it just have to be payment books? anyway if someone could help with a email i could send them would be appreciated thanks

Comment

Clearly, you have not read what has been posted here for you.

Please read your own thread again and understand what information and help has been provided for you. If anything is unclear then please do ask, but you are making a rod for your own back and your life ten times more difficult by choosing the route suggested in your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                  Clearly, you have not read what has been posted here for you.

Please read your own thread again and understand what information and help has been provided for you. If anything is unclear then please do ask, but you are making a rod for your own back and your life ten times more difficult by choosing the route suggested in your post.
                  i am not worried about recovering the one and only £1 card charge, i just wanted to know that if i continue to pay each week the amount i paid by card which was ok then as they sent me payment books out is ok to continue to do to keep them away as long as i have proof of paying each week surely this would keep them away and any more contact would be harrasment?

Comment

Are you being intentionally dense?

Section 10 of the Distress for Rent Rules 1988 states:

No person shall be entitled to charge, or recover from, a tenant any fees, charges or expenses for levying a distress, or for doing any act or thing in relation thereto, other than those authorised by the tables in Appendix 1 to these Rules.

By charging you £1 in order to "process" the card payment the bailiff has defrauded you under Section 2(1)(b)(i) and Section 4(1)(c)(i) of the Fraud Act 2006.

This will result in the entire sum being credited and, since the council are vicariously liable for the actions of their agents, they too have committed fraud.

How far you wish to take this is entirely up to you, but it has to be more productive than photocopying payment books, compiling folders and paying them each and every week...

Comment

With a chargeback you get the whole amount credited, not just the £1 that you have been charged for paying by debit card. Please slow down and read the link properly, this is a much easier way of going about things.
                      Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X