• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax debt from previous address over 10yrs ago

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax debt from previous address over 10yrs ago

Hi, my wife had council tax arrears from her previous address over years ago. A few years ago the council sent letters with the amounts owed. She agreed to pay off £50 a month until cleared. She pays by standing order and hasn't missed a payment. Then a few months ago she got a letter from council saying the debt has been passed to bailiffs. My wife asked why because she hadn't missed a payment and standing order was still set up. The woman was rude and said speak to the bailiffs as it was with them now!.
    my wife contacted them and explained she dont know why it's been passed to them. My wife said she was willing to pay the amount she was paying to the council. They told her they wanted full payment. My wife said no as she cannot afford it. They said they would send out a attachment of earnings.
    my wife then got a text message asking for payment, so my wife contacted them again and asked where is the letter they was sending. They said they sent and then told her the address which was the old address. My wife said she doesn't live there, could they email it. The woman said that's the address they have got and the liability orders were in. So my wife ended the call as she wasn't getting anywhere.
    Then last week the she recieved letters in our current address asking for full payment and costs. She has recieved text messages.
    would be grateful for any help, thanks
    Tags: None

I am sure people with more knowledge will post but I think I would contact the solicitor of the council who issued the liability order explaining the situation (DD in place and being paid, no notice of liability order received as sent to old address) and ask them to remove the debt from the debt collector and take no further action on the incorrectly obtained liability order

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X