• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Debt from Student House

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Debt from Student House

My brother received a letter through the door from Bristow & Sutor sayings "Enforcement Process Commenced" about an alleged council tax debt from an old student property he lived at in his final year at University. We rang up the council and they say the debt is from the period June 19 - June 20, and my brother only lived at this property as a student from July 18 - July 19. My brother was told by the estate agents when he signed a tenancy agreement with them that as they were students, the estate agents would sort out all council tax matters for them.

As such, this letter was a bit of a shock. The only way we can think of that this has happened, is that the University has classified my brother as no longer a student between the period of his last exam and his graduation.

From what I can tell, it seems like there have been quite a few steps to get to this point, but all correspondence was being sent to the previous address as it seems like the estate agents didn't inform the council of them leaving the property or their new addresses. This letter containing fees from the bailiffs of over £300 + an alleged debt of £1000, is the first time we were made aware of this.

The council have told the enforcement agents to hold off for 14 days, while we are contesting the alleged council tax debt. I am just wondering, what is our best plan of action for this? Has anyone had an experience similar to this that they can shed light on?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Might be too late but you probably should have posted under Council Tax Issues board in Housing, Property and neighbours section. More likely to get a repsonse.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X