• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marstons baliffs randomly turning up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marstons baliffs randomly turning up.

Hi I owe my local council a sundry debt which I contested part of with them but they still proceed to pass the debt on. Well yesterday an enforcement officer posted a letter stating 797 is owed for a sundry debt I didn't answer the door as was not expecting anyone I'm shielding and I had been given no prior notice of a visit as I could of told them this aswell as having 2 vunerable people in my home. The letter its self is very informal considering it just mentions the amount and to contact the officer to discuss repayment including an affordable payment plan. So I took heed went to the marstons payment portal entered the ref number and 621 GBP came up as owing on the account so I paid it in full. But I'm so confused as to why the notice of attendance has 797 sundry fee written on it. I thought maybe some sort of fee but there is no break down explaining this and I was under the impression that baliffs had to give some sort of notice atleast before randomly turning up and issuing fees, Or maybe atleast a clear breakdown of the fees. So I tried contacting the officer first time I got I'll ring you back I'm with someone second time hung up on. So thought I'll pop back to the payment portal but now it is saying the ref number is inactive.
    Does that mean the account is now closed any advice appreciated.
    ​​​​​

Tags: None

Sounds about right, Bailiffs generally send a letter but can just turn up. The debt would have been £621 but everything costs money so the £797 would have been for the cost of the visit (possibly). You did the right thing admitting the debt and paying in full because the balance of the debt normally only goes up everytime a baliff visits. As the case is closed that should be the end of the matter. Keep your credit card statement for a while so you can prove you have paid should anyone ask in the future.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X