• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Illegal Reposession - Logbook Loan Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal Reposession - Logbook Loan Help

I took out a logbook loan on 24-06-2018 using my Audi Q7 as collateral,
    I was not working at the time and struggling with essentials.

It was a 12 month fairly standard agreement, I borrowed £4500.00, and agreed to repay £7,425 (at £618.75 a month for 12 months).* I remember at the time, I asked, if I struggle meeting this payment, can I extend the term, I was assured this would not be an issue.

I knew the repayments would be hard for me, but i had been offered a new job in a different part of the country and couldn’t do it without
    a loan, from the outset there were issues, initially my new paydate fell after the initial loan repayment due date, which they were unwilling to change,
    i tried paying weekly - hoping that id be able to figure something out...but i then had an expensive car repair to keep the car on the road,
    and missed a payment...

to be honest, the repayments were always a struggle,
    after a couple of months, I tried to restructure the loan, the company were unwilling to change it, apparently due to my loan repayment history..

i tried to work with the company, I called them frequently, and tried to restructure the payments into something I could afford, however there
    was not the level of flexibility I required. it was causing me marriage issues and undue stress.

on 19-03-19, I called the company, who were demanding £2500 from me in a one off payment, this was unrealistic, and I ended up having an argument
    over the phone with their representative.

the representative gave me an ultimatum, pay up now, or we will collect the car.
    I knew they needed a default notice which had not been served, and I needed afew more weeks to raise that level of money,
    I told the guy on the phone, 'you need to produce a default notice before you can just repossess my car...'
    to which he replied 'hold on, I need to check something...' I could hear him typing on his keyboard...
    while on the phone, I received a default notice via email
    the notice was back dated two weeks, expiring immediately..
    i returned home on 21-03-19, my wife had enough of the stress largely caused by this, and had left me that day, at 22:00 the same evening - I had two bailiffs attend to repossess the car.

I cannot prove this was the only default notice I received... but, it was.
    the car was gone within 2 days of the default notice expiry date

I ended up having a breakdown over the end of my relationship, I lost my job, and my house and its only now, I feel this is all so wrong, can this really be legal / can they get away with it, what can I do?

in summary, at the time of repossession, I thought I had around £2,500 remaining on the agreement.
    the default notice states £4,995.65 due.

since this all happened, I’ve only had one letter from the logbook loan company, the letter states the debt is now settled, I don't know how much the car went for at auction
    I know it cost me £16,000 in 2016.

can anyone advise?

Last edited by NorMart; 9th June 2020, 07:15:AM.
    Tags: None

Is there a question here?

Comment

Aldi Q7s are expensive to run luxury cars, I am wondering why you took out an awful "logbook" loan with some subprime lender instead of maybe selling the Q7 and buying something cheap until you can afford a flashy motor again ?

The fact of the matter is with "logbook" loans you are basically selling the car to them until it is paid off, so you just sold the thing for a paltry 4.5k. Since its done by way of a bill of sale (a very old and archaic instrument) then they can just possess it without any more paperwork/ court actions since it isn't covered by the CCA.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X