• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Entitled to refund of Enforcement Fee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitled to refund of Enforcement Fee?

My daughter recently had been coerced by a bailiff into paying unreasonable payments over 3 months of £162.50 and two lots of £200, which were unpaid council tax of £252.50,* *£75 compliance fee and an enforcement fee of £235.* My question is : She is actually on their records as vulnerable due to a previous mental health problem and a single parent to a little 5 year old. As I understand it they were employed by the council and were quite heavy handed in their dealings with her even texting her on days of payment and getting into financial difficulties due to the amount of the payments and the short period to pay. I understand her first port of call has to be to the council who employ the bailiffs/enforcement agents. Would she in any way be able to gain a refund of the enforcement fee as they didn't follow BS procedure at the time and if they are not responsive to that go to the ombudsman regarding the matter?
    Any advice and how to phrase a letter of complaint is appreciated.
    Tags: None

Are the Bailiffs aware that she may be vulnerable? If so has she contacted them for return of the fee? I don't doubt the Council will fob her off in which case she needs to get in touch with her local Councillor(s) to act on her behalf.

Comment

The enforcement agent told her she was on their records as that, looking on the internet it looks like you have to get in touch with the council first because they are under their employ? And is there an Ombudsman that would be interested if anybody has any other recommendations?
      Thankyou.

Comment

You can only go to the Local Government Ombudsman once all other avenues are exhausted/frustrated. As for who to go to first then yes they are acting on behalf of the Council but you must ask them first.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X