• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiff took car for someone else’s debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiff took car for someone else’s debt

I’ve owned my vehicle for three years. I’ve not been well this year and my friend needed a car so I agreed to lend it and changed the registered keeper to her. She got a parking ticket (typically parked outside my property as she was also giving me lifts) and has not paid it. A bailiff showed up and clamped the car just as I was going on the school run. I asked for an hour to get my receipts together and I would proof ownership. He said no and towed while I was out. I emailed the bailiff company within the hour with copies of receipts, my bank statement, insurance policy and id and they have only just replied asking me what is my relationship to the debtor and why is she the registered keeper. They’ve also said my insurance policy states I’m the registered keeper and can I explain why I’ve lied. I haven’t lied, the policy started while I was still the registered keeper. I have emailed back and said surely I have proved I’m the legal owner now and they need to return the vehicle or I would seek legal advice. Can anyone advise? They have had the vehicle for 9 days now.*
    Tags: None

They are supposed to wait for 2 hours after clamping a vehicle before removing it - this is in order for you to make enquiries and to gather monies to pay it off. You should have changed your insurance details when you changed the RK. The same as from that date she should have become responsible for the road tax. As they have had the vehicle for 9 days you are at risk of them selling it. They should have explained that you should submit a Part 85 Claim for ownership - Google it.

Comment

He waited three hours before towing. I have submitted a claim for ownership via their email which they have responded to after 8 days asking more questions - what relationship do I have with the registered keeper, why is the registered keeper different to myself and why am I the registered keeper on my insurance policy. It wasn’t a long term thing so I didn’t change my insurance. I was actually just in the process of changing the registered keeper when the bailiff towed the vehicle and now the dvla won’t give me a new v5 because I’m not in possession of the vehicle.

do I have to answer their questions? I feel that I have proved my ownership so anything else is irrelevant and they should just return my vehicle.*

Comment

As said submit a Part 85 Claim - never done it myself so can't help. Some might say try Pepipoo but they will refer you to a poster called Herbie. To help she does have her own site https://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X