• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I think im going to be depressed ;

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think im going to be depressed ;

I have payed my full amount around 2000 pounds to the council for my council tax ( now broke ) however newlyn are threatening me that they will be using the enforcement team to take my stuff away.
    1. im really new as in like council tax because I am a student and it was my first time moving out of the student let.
    2. Should I really take these text messages seriously? ( should i be really scared?)
    3. Am I not off the hook because I didn't pay my money through newlyn?
    4. Why does newlyn just show as newlyn on messages?
    5. Is there a way to block calls fro newlyn?
    I would like to receive advice because I do not know what I should do.
    Last edited by peachpandaz; 27th January 2020, 17:04:PM.
    Tags: None

1) Have you advised the council you were a student and given them proof ? Your comment suggest that the council tax liability may be wrong and that you need it looked at properly.
    2) They can still come around to the property in respect of any outstanding balance.
    3) The enforcement fees are still due - just paying the council tax does not make the problem go away. If the council do the job properly then any monies will be apportioned between the council tax and the fees so one part doesn't just get paid off in full.
    4) That's up to however they configure their messages - if it just said 'Newlyn' people wouldn't read them.

Have you contacted the council to ask if they have informed Newlyn that the payment has been made ?

Comment

Originally posted by lgfa92 View Post
      1) Have you advised the council you were a student and given them proof ? Your comment suggest that the council tax liability may be wrong and that you need it looked at properly.
      2) They can still come around to the property in respect of any outstanding balance.
      3) The enforcement fees are still due - just paying the council tax does not make the problem go away. If the council do the job properly then any monies will be apportioned between the council tax and the fees so one part doesn't just get paid off in full.
      4) That's up to however they configure their messages - if it just said 'Newlyn' people wouldn't read them.

Have you contacted the council to ask if they have informed Newlyn that the payment has been made ?
      Yes the council has notified newlyn that i cleared the charges its the enforcement fees that they are chasing me after.. which is around 400£
      I have a question though why am I responsible for the enforcement fees ?*
      Another Question ive looked at sites where they stop the bailiaffs for free. *are they really free? do they actually stop them? if i am late or dont meet up with the plan do i get charged?

Comment

I have a question though why am I responsible for the enforcement fees
        Because you cannot try and avoid the £310 statutory fees by just paying the council.

If the council are doing it properly then the monies paid to them should be apportioned between the agent's fees and the council tax - this means that you cannot pay the council tax in full and ignore the fees. Some councils will however leave the enforcement agents hanging over the fees and simply say the council tax charge is paid - this means that the enforcement agent cannot then use the liability order to enforce the fees and would need to pursue it through the civil courts.

Another Question ive looked at sites where they stop the bailiaffs for free. are they really free? do they actually stop them? if i am late or dont meet up with the plan do i get charged?
        In nearly 2 decades of working in council tax - half of that working for a council in council tax recovery - I can say I was never involved in a single case where any of these sort of companies stopped the enforcement agents.

Comment

Hi guys, I have the same problem, I've paid all my council tax that I owed to the council but newlyn is still after me for that £310 enforcement fees.

My question is whether my council is able to retract the case back to themselves from newlyn? I have raised an appeal to the council because the lack of communication from them caused this.

Comment

Originally posted by johnson2154 View Post
            Hi guys, I have the same problem, I've paid all my council tax that I owed to the council but newlyn is still after me for that £310 enforcement fees.

My question is whether my council is able to retract the case back to themselves from newlyn? I have raised an appeal to the council because the lack of communication from them caused this.
            You need to start your own thread, then the site can advise.

Comment

Dansonpass is a spammer. Post reported.
              All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

There's no Report button showing in this thread, so not reported yet.
                Last edited by PallasAthena; 28th June 2023, 14:19:PM.
                All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
                  There's no Report button showing in this thread, so not reported yet.
                  I did earlier, so it has been done.

Comment

Ah, that explains it. Thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X