• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice needed for recovery with CCJ sole trader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed for recovery with CCJ sole trader

Hi folks,

I am looking for some advice. I instructed a builder to do renovation work. I paid him upfront for materials and some labor costs. He did some work and then disappeared citing he is liquidating his company. As I paid him personally (not his company) I took him to small court. Initially he filed defence but then did not see through so I have a now got a judgement against him (in default) for approx. £10k

The advice I need is what options should I use recovery

Option # 1 High court enforcement: This builder is very deceptive and changes his address frequently. Is there a way to confirm his address? I a am worried enforcement officer will not be able to get in. If he doesn’t open the door could they do anything to force entry? I am pretty sure he only has lease cars. He sometimes lives with his parents can I give their address too?

Option # 2 Third party debt order: The builder is still working from what I can see under name of different company. Should I consider getting his bank account freeze? I guess he is clever enough not to keep much money in his account and may use family members account

Option # 3 Charging order. I don’t believe he has any assets like property or car. Is there a easy way to check that?

Option #4 No win no cost recovery: I saw some agencies were offering enforcement office recovery on the basis of no win no fee. Should I consider that? Have they got the same powers as high court enforcement officer? Anyone has experience of using them?

I know my chances of getting anything back is slim, but deep inside I don’t want him to get away with this. He has done the same to lots of other people and I am certain he will do it again.

Any advice on best way for recovery will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Tags: None

AfaIk, if he is a sole trader he cannot into liquidation.

He would be personally responsible for it.

He could, however, go bankrupt or opt for an IVA.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

CHATITYNJW thanks for your comments any advice on how to go about recovery?

This is my first time with such an issue. I have already lost lot of money to this fraud builder and want to make sure I am taking sensible steps for recovery.

Please advise thanks

Comment

It'a a common misconception that, if you take someone to court & win, you 'automatically' get the money back.
        Unfortunately (as you have discovered), the court just pronounce the judgment.
        Enforcing that judgment is a different thing.

I do recall similar situation some years ago, where the Judgment Creditor hired a private investigator to cut through a web of deceit. I've had no personal experience of doing that, so I can't comment on it much further.

Unfortunately, you've found out the golden rule the hard way; if you sue someone, make sure beforehand that they are in a position tol pay up!
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Any advice from anyone on which option to pursue for recovery.

A friend suggested that 3rd party debt order could be better approach as bank will freeze whatever funds they find. Has anyone used this enforcement method pls help?

Thanks

Comment

You will need to first know the bank account details that you think the builder is using, but there is no guarantee that any money will be in there and the builder could transfer that money out before that order comes through.

Generally, the easiest method would be bailiffs and since the builder is a sole trader, they could take goods from his house if that is where he trades from, assuming there are assets available.

I would suggest you need to try and identify whether he has any assets and/or the financial viability, otherwise you could be throwing good money after bad.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

For enforcement aginst the sum you are caiming for you would probably be better off using a High Court Enforcement Officer - have a read of these FAQs @ https://thesheriffsoffice.com/faqs you could also ring them as in the past I have found them quite helpful. There are other HCEOs but a word of warning steer clear of the one that appears on Ch5 Can't Pay, We'll Take It Away.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                You will need to first know the bank account details that you think the builder is using, but there is no guarantee that any money will be in there and the builder could transfer that money out before that order comes through.

Generally, the easiest method would be bailiffs and since the builder is a sole trader, they could take goods from his house if that is where he trades from, assuming there are assets available.

I would suggest you need to try and identify whether he has any assets and/or the financial viability, otherwise you could be throwing good money after bad.
                Rob thanks for your comment. How do I go about finding if has any assets? Is there a way to search for land registry record by name rather than title?

Appreciate any direction. Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X