• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business rates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business rates

Hi
    I received a text message a couple of days ago saying I had until the next day at 3pm to pay £8123.18 or a debt collector will force entry into my business to remove goods.
    It didn't say what for so I called them and it's for unpaid business rates that I do not owe.
    At the start of the season I was given a bill for £1500 And told if I appeal because I'm a small business it will be reduced to £0 So that's what I did and heard no more until the text message.
    Now I'm being hounded by the bailiff saying I must pay in full or they will force entry.
    I received another text yesterday saying they will be at my business at 2pm to again force entry. I replied saying they can not force entry to remove goods because not everything in there belongs to me and I'm disputing the bill because as far as I'm aware I owe nothing. I had no reply, so having to keep the shop closed, loosing a days takings.
    I went and watched the shop from 1.45pm till 2.30pm and no one turned up.

What are they playing at? I will try to contact the local authority on Monday morning about this, but the way the Bailiff is talking he doesn't care, he either wants payment or will force entry.

Can anyone offer any advice please.
    Tags: None

Until a decision is made otherwise the last NNDR bill will stand - a lower bill only comes in to effect once it has been applied. The enforcement agent is correct that he can pursue the amount until instructed otherwise however a wise agent will always check with the council before he takes action.

Comment

You should have received various letters about this from the Council first advising they were going to take action. Even so a Bailiff must send you a Notice of Enforcement first. Something not quite right here, what is the name of the people asking for payment?

Comment

Ploddertom is right, although it is acceptable to use electronic means to advise a debtor that there is an outstanding amount due for whatever, you should have received at least 2 letters from the Council and at least 2 letters from the Enforcement Agent/Agency, plus a hand delivered letter from them saying that if you don't pay they'll take it away.

Having said that they (EA and LA) do not have to pove that you received such correspondence, as long as they have logged into their system that the above mentioned letters were indeed posted.

When the Enforcement Agent turns up do ask to see his General Certificate (must be carried all the time) and a letter from the LA authorising BayliffRus to act on their behalf. If the EA can't provide such proof you are entitle to call the Police and have the arrested for attempted extortion.
        The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X