• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Financial claim against Police

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial claim against Police

I have recently separated from my wife of 13 years. There were never any issues of domestic violence or anything like that, however after I left my wife made a complaint to the Police who then decided to arrest me. Despite there being no allegation of me causing issues at our jointly owned home, or any allegation of threats and it being a minor allegation she claims they advised that she change the locks. She had no legal power to do so and subsequently having nothing that prevents me from accessing my house I have had to embark on an expensive journey to get back in, as all of my belongings are inside and she refuses me access to them. I dare not exercise my lawful right to enter for fear of further allegations and arguing through solicitors including threatening to get a judges order has cost me several thousand pounds thus far. Somebody told me that this wasn't something the police get involved in any more, due to the legal issues.

Setting aside any suggestions of what I could do to get in (as I am aware of my rights in that sense), my main questions are these.

1. Bearing in mind my wife was not legally entitled to change the locks and that the police have cost me a considerable amount of money, can I make a claim against them to reimburse me the legal costs and stress this has caused me?

2. Are there any stated cases around such a situation? As I have looked and cant find any.
    Tags: None

Why did you start 2 threads

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      Why did you start 2 threads
      Didn't know which section to put it in as it didn't really fit into divorce or the other section being that it is about civil claim against police for actions by them in a divorce. bit of a hybrid post in that respect.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X