• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rental Arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rental Arrears

RENT ARREARS
    I would like to know about claiming rent arrears from my ex tenant. They claimed they have stopped paying rent as they have vacated. However, no notice was served and keys were never returned. Four months after they have stopped paying rent. a Deed of Surredner was signed.

There are 4 month arrears dating back three years, also there are 11 moonths of increased rent owed.

A few months after signing the deed of surrender , my ex tenant did send me two letters, one of which is a 'letter of agreement' with a cover letter from an immigration solicitor to say that they would pay 50% of the rent arrears on the condition that not further claims will be make against them. I have signed for the register post but not replied to the letters.

Is it worth making a claim for the full rental arrears? and do I need to send them some documents before making a claim and if so, do I need to send it via their solicitor?

DAMAGES
    I have returned the full deposit to the same ex tenant. However, 5 months later when the flooring was lifted, it was a complete write off (as the ex tenant had plumbed in their own appliance which caused a 'drip') and also the bathroom floor had the same issue. Due to Covid not many tradesman were available hence the work were delayed.

I understand the time frame for making a claim is 6 months, regarding the damage - is there a claim?
    Last edited by Co La; 2nd May 2024, 19:40:PM.
    Tags: None

1. Do they have money to pay even if you can claim?
    2. Can you prove they caused the damage?
    3. Why have you waited until now....?

Comment

1. Yes, they have told me
      2. Yes, when I found out they have changed to their appliances, I have asked them to write and signed they are liable for the damages (only for kitchen not bathroom)
      3. Health reasons

Comment

This is not my area but I think that after 3 years there is little chance. If it were a more recent debt I would be issuing a letter before action to them. You have to do this before you make a small claim. Read Moneyclaim Online for more info and to learn about the process. I honestly doubt, if they are on benefits, whatever they have told you they would have the money to pay so you may well be throwing good money after bad even if you could make a claim. Wait for more advice!

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          This is not my area but I think that after 3 years there is little chance. If it were a more recent debt I would be issuing a letter before action to them. You have to do this before you make a small claim. Read Moneyclaim Online for more info and to learn about the process. I honestly doubt, if they are on benefits, whatever they have told you they would have the money to pay so you may well be throwing good money after bad even if you could make a claim. Wait for more advice!
          Appreciate your reply, I think they will pay as they do not want a CCJ and they told me they have the money. I am unsure about the claim for damages, and also concern about counter claim. I will wait for others to reply.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X