• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property management termination issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property management termination issue

I’ve got a dispute with property management company which manages my flat. I, as the owner want to change the management company as they neglected property repairs and I gave them one month notice. Now they said 3 months notice needed with a termination fee. I’m sure I never signed such contract. They seem deliberately delay the handover process. What legal action I can take to ensure the on time handover?
    Tags: None

Start with your contract. If there is a written contract, then it ought to contain terms about notice to terminate. If nothing in writing, then the notice has to be reasonable in all the circumstances.

Have you tried discussing with them your reasons and trying to agree a handover period?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for your reply. This agent has managed my property for 5 years so far. The initial contract has a term of 3 years and specifies two months notice without a termination fee. When this initial contract ends it says automatic renewal if I do not terminate. But I didn’t sign any renewal contract after the initial contract period. The reason for change is they neglect repairs and are very slow in reply. Leakage issues and other problems were identified two months ago. Repair quotations didn’t come until last week and there was a flood to downstairs unit. Carpet was damaged and smelly because of the leakage. In the initial contract there is clause saying improper management issue may justify contract termination immediately. Now we do not agree on the termination date and they insist on three months notice. Though I rang them several times for the handover date, what they say they will report to the manager and reply later. No reply so far and the handover date has not been confirmed. I feel it has to be settled through arbitration or court. Are there any such institutions that I can file a case in UK? They now deliberately postpone the process. I live in London and the agent is in Manchester. I feel I need to serve them some legal notice to speed up the process. I only know small claims court, but this is not money related so which organisation can I bring a case? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jujulover View Post
        Thank you for your reply. This agent has managed my property for 5 years so far. The initial contract has a term of 3 years and specifies two months notice without a termination fee. When this initial contract ends it says automatic renewal if I do not terminate.
        There you are: automatic renewal (which means renewal is automatic, without need to sign a new agreement), and 2 months notice to terminate.

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X