• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small claim but against who?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small claim but against who?

Hi, the son of friend paid over £900 to a driving school for 25 lessons. They have only provided 14 lessons, and despite repeated requests no refunds have been made nor any lessons. The school has this in its terms and conditions :- XXXXXX acts as your agent in locating a Driving Instructor to provide you with the Lessons. When you make a booking with XXXXXX you are entering into a separate contract for the Lessons which is solely between yourself and the Driving Instructor who is self-employed and who is independent from XXXXXX. This has been going on for some 2 months now and it seems the only resolution is via the small claims court, but given the above, who should he proceed against, the school or the instructor? Please advise. Many thanks.

Tags: None

The Terms & Conditions shoul identify who is responsible to give you the answer. Usually the one you paid, but it could differ.

What was the reason the remaining lessons were not taken?

Comment

The wording quoted purports to make it clear that the driving school acted as agent for the instructor. On the face of it, the instructor would be your defendant. Do you have the name and address of the instructor? If not, then it will be difficult for the school to say it is agent for a disclosed principal.

I don't suppose you know whether the instructor has been paid.

Before starting a claim, I suggest that you write a firm letter before action to each (school and instructor). Consider the replies carefully. It may become sensible to name both as defendants.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        The wording quoted purports to make it clear that the driving school acted as agent for the instructor. On the face of it, the instructor would be your defendant. Do you have the name and address of the instructor? If not, then it will be difficult for the school to say it is agent for a disclosed principal.

I don't suppose you know whether the instructor has been paid.

Before starting a claim, I suggest that you write a firm letter before action to each (school and instructor). Consider the replies carefully. It may become sensible to name both as defendants.
        The instructor has been paid. My friends son has screen images of instant messages between the instructor and the school. The school says something to the effect 'if you send the money to us we will pass it on to the client.' In addition he is not the only person that this instructor has failed to fulfill his agreement with, there is another young woman owed about £60. I believe that the lessons were cancelled in part due to covid and becasue the instructor decided not to carry on giving lessons once the restrictions were eased.

I should also add that the instructor insists that he wants to repay the money, and on one occasion claims to have refunded the amount to the school. From reading all the texts and other messages that the friend has I have a clear impression that the instructors words are empty of sincerity.

Thanks to all for your help thus far, anything else you can offer is welcome. Thank you.
        Last edited by walklikeme; 1st June 2022, 12:14:PM. Reason: Additional information and to add my thanks.

Comment

OK, that points to the instructor. Write those letters.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Ok, then I will compose and email suggesting that payment must be made within 5 working days or he will institute proceedings in the small claim court against him. Thanks again.

Comment

I did refer to letters in the plural! If you write to both, answers from one may be useful against the other.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X