• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ issued while I was out of the country, is statue barred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ issued while I was out of the country, is statue barred

Hello all. Will try to be succinct

I have had a CCJ awarded against me while I was out of the country working. The warrant has been suspended by the creditor (Restons/Cabot) once I wrote to them stating the debt was statute barred.

I submitted an N244 form asking for the judgement to be set aside as the debt is statute barred.

Restons called me today but I asked them to call back tomorrow. Does anyone have any idea what they might say or try and get me to agree to on the phone call?

Should I just ask them to contact me in writing instead?

I don't have a court date as yet.
    Tags: None

Sorry I should add that the debt defaulted more than 6 years ago and no payments or acknowledgements have been made by myself in that time. Cabot claim that payments were made on the account as recently as last January, but this was certainly not by me or anyone acting on my behalf. I have heard that some of these accounts end up servicing themselves somehow as the amounts are always small. I am going to request full details of these payments but I know they were not made my myself

Comment

Hmm as previously advised to other members. Do not talk to them by telephone, only by mail. It has also been posted before, payments are made to your A/C you need full details of who and by what means payments were made by, what Bank made the payment, no doubt it was a typing error.

Comment

Many thanks I will ask them to write to me when they call

Comment

Another question, I am hoping the judgment will be set aside and I can enter my defence of the debt being statute barred. Can I start requesting things like the 'payments' that were made to the account by another party and the original contract (it is an overdraft from a current account from around 2003)

Comment

I have my date. August 21. I am going to request details of the "payments' made and also a GDPR request for all the information they hold on me. Would anyone recommend anything else? I am planning on attending myself but does anyone think I should obtain legal representation?

Comment

Just for reassurance, please confirm date of default. Are you absolutely certain there was six years between default and issue of court claim (which stops clock)
              Yes absolutely data request for everything but most specifically those mystery payments.
              No CCA in this case as overdrafts are not covered, so you cannot request copies of original contract.

As long as you are watertight on your default date, Limitation is an absolute defence and you will not need any other defence points to succeed.
              You should be fine to self represent and unless the claim amount is over 10k you cannot recover legal costs.
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Celestine,

thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

The account was previously on my credit file but dropped off 2 years or so ago, so I do not have the default, however I do have a letter from Restons Solicitors that the "termination date" was May 2010, and the Date of Assignment was January 2013.

Termination Date: May 2010
                Date of Assignment: January 2013

I assume (I hope correctly) that the date of assignment is when the debt was sold to Cabot, and so must have been after the default date and is therefore well over the 6 years. They claim a payment was made in January 2020 (this was not made by me or anyone acting on my behalf)

They also sent me a statement of account showing credits from December 2012 until Dec 2019. These were all for around £20 every month in that period. Again, those payments were not made by me or anyone acting on my behalf. I have read that these may be the account paying itself and is sometimes used to show payments have been made and therefore the clock has not stopped.

So the only issue I have to is to prove that those payments were not made by myself, and then the default will be very clear, which I would have defended had I been in the country when the papers were served and been able to lodge a defence.

Thanks for the info about legal costs and all your help. You have a wonderful site it is literally saving my life right now!

J

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                Just for reassurance, please confirm date of default. Are you absolutely certain there was six years between default and issue of court claim (which stops clock)
                Yes absolutely data request for everything but most specifically those mystery payments.
                No CCA in this case as overdrafts are not covered, so you cannot request copies of original contract.

As long as you are watertight on your default date, Limitation is an absolute defence and you will not need any other defence points to succeed.
                You should be fine to self represent and unless the claim amount is over 10k you cannot recover legal costs.

Comment

OK yes that sounds like you have got a good argument for limitation.
                  Can you access your own bank statements to prove no payments come from your account.
                  Not sure what you mean by the account paying itself, but if it is, then that would not be acceptable - hopefully the SAR will reveal all. Please let us know if you need any help drafting anything.
                  "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hi all. The hearing is on Friday, I am now drafting my papers. No response was received to my SAR, but I have been sent the details in the court filings. It shows what they claim are payments I made to the original creditor (HSBC), which were sent to Cabot.

Each month there is a payment entitled: Bank Giro Manually Posted- they claim to not have the details of who/where this payment comes from.
                    Each month there is a corresponding outgoing payment: Debt Sale transfer (Debit) for the same amount.

They say: "It is not realistic for the original creditor to be able to trace these payments to an individual"
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JacobS View Post

They say: "It is not realistic for the original creditor to be able to trace these payments to an individual"
                      Nonsense! These are clearly some sort of internal systems process. These payments are within 6 years old, by not explaining them they weaken their case substantially.

Good luck on Friday, keep us posted X

Comment

Thank you again Celestine. I have seen a few comments to just keep my defence simple- would you agree and are there any templates I should follow?

Comment

We have a defence template in the right hand sidebar: https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/
                          The words 'Debt Sale Transfer' seem to suggest these payments are somehow connected to the transfer of the account from the original creditor to Cabot? The credit/debit structure of the payments underlines that this was an internal process, but if you can match them to your own current account statements (showing no payments) that might nudge an unsympathetic Judge in the right direction.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X